Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Save the Moke

Default The Moke

I don't have the economic answers and the work it would take to actually figure that out would probably take more money and time than I have available to me.

The Moke provides recreation for many. It is a placed that is loved by many. If you need to show the economic opportunity cost, I think that misses the real point. This project will destroy something that is loved and its further destruction will be needless, as there are other alternatives that get the same result.

I'm going to stick with the Moke and I hope others do too.

B-

Thumbs up The Moke....

Brian,.... I know that you're a stand up guy and, believe it or not, I like the Moke, too. Altho I don't fish the portion you're involved with, I've put in a lot of days between there and the lakes above.

Regardless, you're mistaken about not being able to quantify the values involved to support your position. If you have anyone around that can develop the information and direct that outcome, you/they should undertake the task. Otherwise, I fear you're fighting a losing cause.

The project people (your opposition) certainly will or have done their homework. That's what you have to overcome.

I'm hoping you'll be successful....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Another take on this is something I've heard from those who fish the Moke below Camanche - that raising Pardee and increasing water storage there could potentially benefit the salmon, steelhead, and resident trout populations downstream of Camanche Dam by potentially providing regular and consistent increased flows throughout the year.

Gaining access to the section (I believe through litigation) between Pardee and Camanche was a huge win for whitewater advocates a few years ago, as EBMUD used to have people accessing these waters arrested for trespassing. But some say fishing this section is not so hot due to constantly fluctuating flows.

Default Moke

When I say I can't get that data, well, I personally can't, but that sort of specific activity isn't in my job description. I have a whole boat load of other responsibilities here at FOR, more along the lines of major donor work, fundraising events, mail-based fundraising, new memberships, etc. There are others that might have a better handle on that sort of info. We've been working with the Foothill Conservancy and they might have that info. Their website has some good info on it. I posted here because I'm an angler, live in Pville and post on other fly fishing boards and have heard good things about this forum for a long time.

This looks like a battle that really can be won. This is pretty far from throwing pebbles at the waves. There are already at least two members of the EBMUD Board who are opposed to the Pardee dam raise, with another on the fence. The Board is only 7, so we only need 1.5 more votes and the dam won't be raised.

As far as a dam raise helping steelhead or salmon... that sounds like a wolf in sheep's clothing... how often have we heard about water projects that would in theory help salmon or steelhead? This would keep more water from going downstream and that is rarely a good thing for salmon or steelhead.