Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tube, 'Toon, Yak, Pram?

Phil,

You have a very nice boat. Many of my freinds have them.

I have had that fiberglass tri-hull in an 8 and 12 footer.

Many people made those same boats but this is the only one left in production:

http://www.columbia.w1.com/Oly-Boats.shtml
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

If you get the pram, go to harbor freight and get a small trailer. Of course there is the cost of a hitch on the car or mini van, but life will be easier loading and unloading with a trailer. Had a 14' canoe, but loading it was a chore at the end of a long day of fishing. I'm small, so lifting a canoe was difficult at times and I have had two hernia repairs. Now I have a 12' v bottom with a trailer. I like the fact that I can have it hitched up in ten minutes and on the road. Launching it is easy and I can do it by myself rather easily. Just watch out for slippery ramps and board members that are watching when you get stuck on the ramp. I also have my pontoon which has it uses also. Enjoy figuring this all out! Bill

I like my 12 ft. Porta Bote (a folding boat). It is big enough for me to take the kids out fishing and light enough for me to put on top of my SUV (much easier with two adults but manageable alone). The floor on the boat is flexible so it takes some getting use to but after a little time in the boat, I have no problem moving around or casting while standing.

I have yet to take it on the river but so far it works great in lakes.

John

Default My two cents,,no more

I've had every type of craft mentioned here. I currently have a 'toon, float tube canoe and inflatable 'yak. I'm considering selling my inflatable kayak (Aire Tomcat) and getting a Watermaster. They seem best suited fop every type of fishing, especially river They allow you to use your flippers for control while drifting, casting and fighting fish. Wish they didn't cost so much.
    It's a Chromer!

Steve, my curiosity was piqued, so I just googled the Watermaster. That's a neat idea, cross between several different crafts. I did not give in to the temptation to look at the price, what ever it is, it's out of my range right now.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Default more info

Phil,

Unfortunately, they're about $1300 (new) with all accessories. Worth it in the long run. A friend of mine has one and they just can't be beat. There is no compromise with them. His fishes better than any craft I have owned and is rated for class 4 rapids and 800+ lbs. They're pretty indestructable too. Hopefully, I'll be getting one this summer. Depends upon the sale of garage items etc.... If you contact them they will send you a DVD and catalog. Another similar craft is the Abel Craft. Found one on Craigslist for $600 used.

http://killeen.craigslist.org/boa/1058432920.html

Steve
    Last edited by roostersgt; 03-19-2009 at 05:11 PM.
    It's a Chromer!

I have a canoe, two kayaks, a V tube, did have an old float tube until Mr. Lee bought it, and a Hobie Float Cat....and a Boston Whaler Montauk. My clear favorite is the Hobie Float Cat. I have it registered and can motor easily, row, or use fins. This is the one pontoon I've used that barely reacts to wind and is highly maneuverable. It fits perfectly in my Sequoia with a full 1/4" to spare on each side The only disadvantage is that it is a little heavy but "draggable" on smooth surfaces and carryable for a short distance.

The one disadvantage I see with a traditional float tube is entry and exit from some waters. I will say the seating position is second to none for comfort.