Thread: GPS Advice

Default GPS Advice

I haqve been looking at getting a handheld GPS to carry while hiking in the mountains fishing those small streams this summer and was wondering if any of you use one and can offer a recommendation. I mainly want to be able to load topo maps af areas I visit so I can have routes planned in advance. It seems that every brand or model I investigate has people who love or hate it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

Garmin 60CSX, I have had a 60CS and love it. I take it everywhere, at does everything you can imagine. I use it all the time for driving directions as well as using it for when I go into the woods. With the "X" version you can put in memory cards and hold much more information that one could possibly need. PM if you have any specific questions.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Phil, be careful what you ask for.

After fishing a certain 'desert' stream for years that calls for a 3 mile walk/ride in I took Scott and his electronic marvel.

Now it's a 5 mile walk/ride. GPS only made it harder.

I'm still on the fence with GPS, being old school I have to wonder just how you can ever get good and lost with one of those?

You'd be surprised at the fishing I've found while 'lost'.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Garmin 60CSX, I have had a 60CS and love it. I take it everywhere, at does everything you can imagine. I use it all the time for driving directions as well as using it for when I go into the woods. With the "X" version you can put in memory cards and hold much more information that one could possibly need. PM if you have any specific questions.
    I second the 60CSX!

Question GPS

Hey Ed,.... I felt the same way you do about GPS. I can't recall ever being lost in my life (until a very foggy day on the Delta.... ) Now I'm a believer for that area.... My GPS is in the L'owrance unit.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown