Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Dry fly swap!!

I'm almost done as well. Probably finish them up tonight and get them in the mail by the end of the week.

Default Foam ant recipe:

By popular demand, here's how I tied my black ant pattern:

1: Hooks, thread, foam:

2: Round off the end of the strip of foam:

3: Dress the length of the shank of the hook with thread and wind back to here:

Now for the legs. I found this stuff at work so I don't know where you might find it. I've heard that synthetic paintbrush bristles work as well, but I couldn't find any that worked as well. This stuff is nylon (I think) wire loom sheath - like a Chinese finger torture tube:

4: Cut four pieces of your leg material, long is okay as you'll be trimming later.

5: Wrap the four pieces to the shank (I wrap to the top of the hook, though I don't know if it makes a difference) like so:

6: Now wrap back a few more turns and then attach the foam to the hook. Start with loose turns first then tighter. Be careful not to let the foam pull around the hook and don't go so tight as to cut the foam!

7: Do the same for the middle segment of body and the head. Whip finish, and head cement. I like doing not only the head but the underside of the fly as well.

8: Now take your tweezers and bend the antennae and legs. Depending on the material, you may need to use a hot razor blade or knife to make your legs "set" in whatever bend you put in it. This material takes a set kinda like wire with no heat.

You're done!

_SHig

SHig, thanks for posting that sequence -- now we all just have to figure out where to get that elusive leg material.

Well, this has been a fun swap so far. I haven't tied parachute dries in so long I darn near forgot how to tie them. It's been fun to tie them again and it's been good practice, which is partly what I always hope to get out of participating in these swaps. A few more and I should be good to go.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Ok troops, here is a list of flies received so far. I hope to tie mine tomorrow.

1. J burge
    2. Shigspeed
    3. Ed Wahl
    4. Old trout belly
    5. Fly canoe

So far, so good, like to have them mailed to me by April 8th.
    You guys are the best!

Got skunked at my favorite bluegill pond today. Tough times for poor Fresno Bob.
    Bob

Just finished mine up, they will be in the mail tomorrow. I tied my Dry Bob on a size 14. They are as light as air, and they are killers in the sierra.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

SHig, those Ants are awesome!!
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Flies are done. They are tagged and will be on their journey across Fresno in the morning. I may pick them up at the show on the 18th. I enclosed a return envelope with postage just in case I can’t make it.

Thanks for Hosting Bob, looking forward to seeing everyone’s ties.

I sent mine off yesterday.

So far I have flies from the following.

1. J burge
    2. Shigspeed
    3. Ed Wahl
    4. Old trout belly
    5. Fly canoe
    6. J Black
    7. Jim P.

Try to mail them sometime next week and we should be in good shape!

I'm going to the B52's concert tonight!! I'm not a music guy, but I love the B52's.

I'm gonna be a Rock Lobster and go Love Shackin.

Bob

My flies went out with yesterdays mail.

I am jealous, I love the B-52's. I saw them in Tahoe a year or so ago and sat on the stage til they came out. It is a great show, be ready to do alot of dancing.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>