Thread: Divide and Conquer

Lightbulb Divide and Conquer

It was reported in the Fresno Bee on 2/26 that a former Assemblyman, Bill Maze, has decided to propose dividing the state into two separate states. One would include 13 coastal counties thru Marin on the north and 45 remaining counties. Maze established an organization to fund his activities, Citizens for Saving California Farming Industries. This organization sells sponsorships ranging in price from $1,000 to $10,000.

The article mentioned that similar proposals have been made many times before. I used to chuckle when Stan Statham, former legislator from Redding put in a bill to divide the state years ago. Not sure he ever believed he could get it passed but it was a good exercise, anyway.

I gotta admit, I have mixed emotions about this type of proposal. IMHO, This one looks like a goner from the start due to the proposed borders. The proposals made by Statham divided the state north from south. This one divides the coast from inland. Oh, and guess who gets all of the water rights....

On the other hand, the politicians of this state have been proving that they have no clue are overly partisan and completely dysfunctional. I think it wouldn't hurt to break this state up a bit but not sure this one is the best way to do it, geographically.

Check it out at: (Hmmmm,.... Lets try the correct website....)

www.avhidesert.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=539

Here's another website:

www.downsizeca.org/
    Last edited by Darian; 03-01-2009 at 11:55 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Talking You're getting me revved again...

I hope they have room for me in the new administration-- I'll take over DFG and fire anyone won't sitck-up for the swimmerguys!
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

Default Divide and Abandon

I know Willie Brown would like a few more chances to run again on both sides of the line regardless of where you put it. But, why would the farm boys (Kern County, etc.) turn on the hand that feeds them (LA water interests) Plus, I don't see Baghdad by the Bay, or any other urban area benefiting more than they do right now. I know the boys and girls in the State of Jefferson would like the line draw at Redding, so they could hook up with Oregon. Besides, it makes to much sense to work. Also, would would Alameda & LA Counties still be able to send their inmates to Susanville and Crescent City?

Default A House Divided

Darian,

Do you remember an article in the SactoBee last year from the Kern County Farming Interests that stated that water shortage was not the cause of the decline in salmon, but stripped bass?

Thumbs up Stripersssss.....

Yep,.... Seems like whenever there's a threat against water interests, they look for a scapegoat to blame.... In the case published it was Striped Bass.

That tactic hasn't proven successful (yet), so the latest is to brand the EPA, the CEQA and any other regulation as the enemy of agriculture. Thus, the proposal to divide the state.

Of course, dividing the state requires the approval of the state legislature, the US Congress and the people of this state. Considering how much trouble they had approving a rather dubious budget, can you imagine the difficulty in working out a split at the state level (let alone at the federal).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Water war has started

Well guys, the war has started. Here in San Benito County they have just turned off the state water to the ag guys and county residences. There reason is to saved the Delta Smelt.

Question Residences....

WOW!!! Are you sure water to residences was turned off and not rationed Wonder what people are supposed to do for water over there

Author unknown

Yes, the state water which is bought by the county have what is called blue valves. It is for agriculture, but many people use if for drinking water. Most county (not city) have them, everyone depends on there wells. Some of the well water are terrible tasting.