Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Fly Swap?

Hey Ed, I was kind of wondering the same thing. I checked to see if he can be reached by e-mail but his profile doesn't provide it. Seems we're kind of at an impasse . . . . David, do you know how to reach him?
    Last edited by Hairstacker; 03-01-2009 at 02:09 PM.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Wink

Uhhhhhh ......

I'd use the handy PM feature !!

That ..... or smoke signals .

Perhaps two tin cans with a length of string ??

Telekinetic messages ?

Or - how 'bout a 'CALLING BOB'-titled post in the flytying forum ??

Or we can get his addy from BK , and take a drive up thataway and knock on the door .

I'm pretty sure he will figure out , in short order .... that he's the SwapMaster for March .

D. -

Here's hoping Bob sees this...

And hey, I've got a question for you experienced and knowledgeable tiers... what do you do with all your "practice" flies? I must have at least 100+ flies where I've experimented with materials, proportions, techniques, etc. and I'm wondering... what do I do with them?

They're almost good enough to fish with (of course the fish know the answer to that), but I don't want to just throw them away. Do they just go in a dust-collecting box or should I purposely try to set up with my favorite tree?

what do you do with all your "practice" flies? I must have at least 100+ flies where I've experimented with materials, proportions, techniques, etc. and I'm wondering... what do I do with them?
    Well, I don't know what everyone else does, but all my smaller "clunker" flies (pregnant hare's ear nymphs, anorexic pheasant tails, etc.) go into "The Bluegill Box"; as a result, it is one of the most well-stocked boxes I own . . . .
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Unless they're seriously heinous keep 'em. If they're drys and float ok, they'll still work. I'd only toss 'em if they just won't float right, ie stand on their head, lay over on their side, or upside down. Hard to go wrong with nymphs, the fish just don't care.

Now, from experience. I've carried some 'early' attempts in my boxes for years before throwing them out. But they have also saved me on numerous occasions. When the 'A' flies have all found trees, rocks, weeds, or just disappeared into the ether leaving me with an empty leader and no bites,(you all know this happens) the 'B' flies have saved the day.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure that up where we fish you could tie a pine needle or twig to a hook and catch fish on it.

Also, when your buddy loses his last fly, those rejects of yours start looking pretty good.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post

Also, when your buddy loses his last fly, those rejects of yours start looking pretty good.

Ed
    Is that like bringing extra t.p. backpacking, to use to barter with?
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Default If this thing happens I'm in....

I'll do the griffiths gnat...

You guys, you guys, you guys. I guess I'm the swampmeister or swampmonster, that will be decided later. Anyway I am gonna host this thing. First time, never done it before, so if I botch it up, hey where's the love?

Correct me if I'm wrong as I often am,

1. Sierra dry fly swap, fly picked from the post on the Trout and Stream section of this very board, the post about favorite ten dries for our Sierra's

2. Limit to 15 tyers? or if that's not good, what # is? I like 15 if we can get that many.

3. Flies sent to me in Fresno by April 8th.

4. Name your fly and who tied it with your flies.

5. Include some kind of return postage so I can ship your wonderful selection your about to receive.

6. Flies will be distributed at Kiene's expo on april 18th, that's a Saturday. If you can't make the Expo, see #5 above.

7. Tell me if you want them mailed or you will pick them up at the fly shop on expo day. Include this info with your flies.

8. So sign up and tie the same fly so everyone including yourself get one of your creations.

Bob