Thread: Hawaii in feburary

Default Hawaii in feburary

Aloha, the weather has been cold lately, and I realize that is all relative. Cold here is in the 70's and dropping down to 50's at night. It has made the fishing a little sluggish. I got a nice 4lb bonefish yesterday, and it never got into the backing. The fish was heavy and healthy, but just stayed close until I released it. I have had plenty of clients, and have two set for this weekend. It is funny how all of the mainland guys like to fish here in the winter. There are fish around, but it is pretty slow inshore. Summer is really more productive when we have schools of bait fish inshore. Still we have been able to scratch together some fish for my clients. The offshore has been good in kona with reports of small blues and stripped marlin and the occasional spearfish. Here in Hilo the seas have been too rough to head offshore. We are anxiously awaiting the start of ono season over here. I have gotten some small papio lately and they do make good panfry dinners. I will post some pictures if my clients catch anything decent this weekend. I hope you all stay warm, and I know you anxiously await spring. Laterz, Mems.
    Don Memmer

Default Hawaii....

Aloha Don,.... I have a question for you. Do you recall designing a fly for Milkfish (kinda looked like a Clouser with barbels, yellow/white colors) You posted a photo of it and I can't find it. Is there any chance you still have a photo of that fly and, if so, would you mind either posting it here or send it to me by e-mail

Our Panguero at Las Arenas told me there're schools of Milkfish around (large variety) but that they won't bite. Thought maybe I'd see if I could get one to come out and play....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

I'm tying up some green flies for those Cosenaros' (sp) my spanish spelling isn't that good sorta like my language. But Rosetta Stone is helping me out.

Anyway, Efren told me that even if I hooked one that I wouldn't be able to land it because there too big

Pray for a milk fish

Jay

Default Oama fly

Hi Darian, that is my oama fly. It is a baby goat fish that works on trevally. For milk fish you should try arnaud's fly. This guy in the seychelles says it is the ticket. Best bet for ocean going milkfish is some fish eggs. They eat spawn on the surface in X-mas island and I imagine that is what they are eating in La Paz if they see them on the surface. You can try a fly that looks like seaweed, cause that is what they eat here in Hawaii. They are good fun to catch, but extremely difficult. I think you would have more fun with those giant roosters at the light house! I hope you guys have a great time this summer. Right now I am working on a teaching seminar in Los Angles, and if it works out I might try and get down to Loreto in July for some mahi action. I have to plan my fishing trips around free trips to the mainland. If you want one of my oama flies, go to the Rainy's flies website and you can order some. If you have trouble, let me know. I think those toro down there would wack that fly, that is the closest thing to ulua down there. If you can't get any, send me a pm and I can mail you some. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Thumbs up Cosanerozzzzz....

Thanks for the info Don. Gotta start thinking green.

Jay,.... 3 words, frozen green peas. Used to use 'em when I was fishing off the rocks at Palos Verdes Penninsula for Opaleye and Catalina Blue perch. Good stuff.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Just returned from a week on Oahu this afternoon. Mems is right, the fishing was sluggish. We only landed 2 total = (1) 8 lb. Golden Trevally, (1) 3lb. Bone. Fished K Bay, Hickam, and Sand Island area.

Default golden

Aloha, that is so cool you got a golden. An 8lb oio isn't bad either. I got three bones yesterday to 5lbs and a small barracuda and a white papio. It warmed up a little so the fish turned on in the evening. Glad you got something, Mems.
    Don Memmer

Nice to hear you caught fish. Last year I wade fished for bones on Oahu flats between Hanamau Bay and Waikiki. We spotted about 6 or 7 bonefish, some even cruzing right up close to us that spooked, but unfortunately they weren't chewing that day. Not only that, but it was a very windy day, too windy to really be effective flycasting.

We might return in the summer, when I hear it is the better time to fish for bones on Oahu.

Aloha Mems,
    Coach went out of his way for us bigtime! We were scheduled for Tuesday with Mahalo Bob but Coach asked us if we had time to motor around with him on Monday in K-Bay. We accepted his invitation of course! (He picked up a boat back in Dec/Jan) Didn't see much except for a few puffers. Out by sand Island access on Tuesday, we spotted a (18 lb., according to Bob) gorilla-sized Bone Fish. We nearly @#$% our pants!!!! That's were I landed the Golden and F-I-L's 3 lb Bone on the rising tide. Saturday, Coach met us at Hickham Flats and showed us how to walk the circuit. Never saw a darn thing but F-I-L managed to hook a toadfish. I pulled the camera out to snap a pic and he purposely dropped the fish in the water before I could get my finger on the shutter.