Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coastal Rivers - Fishable

Default Coastal Rivers - Fishable

Given the wealth of experience/knowledge/information here on Bill's board, I hope someone can help me with an answer to this question - I'm looking for a way to determine whether coastal rivers are fishable or blown-out during our winter fishing season? Especially given the recent batch of well needed storms. I don't have a specific river in mind and I know each river reacts differently to each storm.

I am familiar with CDEC, it is a great resource that provides information on flows at a number of gauging stations along our rivers, but it really doesn't tell the clarity story. Is there some sort of rule-of-thumb that I would have access to that says river X is unfishable at Y flows, a river report, website, local fly shops, etc. Maybe the answers are readily available and I'm just not aware of where to find them.

I'd like spend more time steelheading our CA coastal rivers. I know I have to put in my time and take my lumps, and I'm willing to do that. But I also don't want to take time off from work, make campsite reservations, pack-up the dog and drive over the coast to find unfishable conditions. Just looking for some kind of gauge that gives me some sort of an idea whether river X, Y or Z MAY BE in fishable shape, then I can make a semi-educated decision to take time away from the family and go steelehading.

Thanks,
    Randy

Randy,
    If we knew the answer to that question, we would get to fish a lot more. There are no hard and fast rules as to what is fisheable and what is not. In general, look for rivers that are dropping. A rising river is not a clearing river. If you see a gauge that is dropping and the foecast is for a break in the weather, go fishing. But,since certain rivers clear slower than others, have a backup plan. If you need more specific info, there are some people around here that might be able help if you know where you want to go.

Mike

Randy,

As Mike stated, there are no hard and fast rules that apply generally to all rivers, but it's my experience that individual river's do have a "personality" that allows you to predict their fishability based upon the weather forecast following a freshet and when/how high the river peaked in cfs. This takes experience and time on the water, however, to learn. But once learned, very predictable.

Of course, again, like Mike said, if you know what river you want to visit, someone here can likely provide you with the "when to go" info you seek.

You're other best option is to call a sporting goods store in the area of the river and ask, hoping you don't get a "clerk" to try and and answer your question.
    Last edited by WinterrunRon; 02-17-2009 at 01:49 PM.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Thumbs up Coastal Rivers/Streams....

Without giving specific "fishin" spots (might upset Walter), there are some general rules for fishing the coast in winter:

I always tried to fish smaller streams during an approaching weather front. The bite was always "ON". Got soaked many times.

Smaller streams clear faster than larger rivers.

After a rain, the upper portions of rivers/streams clear first; then progress downstream.

Tidewater (estuaries) can be fishable with flies at high tide even when the water is muddy upstream/river. This is especially true on smaller streams.

When flows are high, fish will be on the edges of the main current (fish nearer the shore).

During drier weather intervals on smaller coastal streams, make sure the mouth of the stream is open to the ocean (on smaller coastal streams fish don't seem to want to bite if the sandbar is closed ).

Even the smallest streams will have some fishable tidewater. (Some of them were dredged out in the late 19th or early 20th centuries for logging practices. The pilings are still visible in some of them.)

Don't get married to one place or river/stream (unless everything else is closed). If the fish are biting, stay. If not, move.

Make some local friends who can tell you if conditions are right and be flexible so you can go when they are. Timing on smaller coastal streams is critical.

Don't get stuck with only one option if things aren't going well. Take a clamming tool or something else to make your trip fun if the fish aren't biting.

Have a good time.

OK, the rest involves getting some good topo maps, making a few notes and start exploring.
    Last edited by Darian; 02-17-2009 at 04:40 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Im trying to not be such a crotchety old man Darian....you had me laughing when I read that though.

Ill PM the guy now to assuage my selfishness but indulge my generosity.....

Thumbs up Generosity...

ATTABOY!!!! Thanks for helping Walter. As one who learned the hard way in the mid-60's, I'd say I enjoyed fishing over there more as a result of having to find out with the help of a few (....after I gained their trust of course).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Truckin...

Darian, you forgot to tell him to get an old bus so he can hall all his steelie gurus around the lost coast!

Winter steelheading is like... deep,man.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

Default Deep....

Tracy,.... How's a 1970's VW Camper Van work for you That was my home away from home for about 10 years.... I got some suspicious looks from CHP types every time I went thru Marin County in the early AM....

Author unknown

another thing to consider is if you hit a river and it appears muddy, look for tributaries that are running clear and fish at these confluences as they can pump in a stream of clearer water for a short distance. And as Darian mentioned, the fish will often hold along the edges at higher flows- so often at higher flows you will want to use a slower sinking tip and not as heavily weighted flies

Default Fishable Water....

Ricks post made me think of another place to consider during stormy conditions and high, muddy water. If you just have to fish then, try a legal distance below a dam where flows may be controlled artificially. Of course, other fisherman will concentrate at these spots if everything else is "blown out".

Not too many dams in the coastal systems, so far. So, this will make you travel inland and up river a bit.

Author unknown