Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Bass season checklist !!

Wellllllllll. The best way to answer your question is first to remind you that you asked me about my “early season selection.” The Kaufmann Dragonfly Nymph offers a bigger meatier profile. Perhaps this provides a better reason for the bass to eat it during cold water months (low energy months).

You know I love Andy’s Dragonbugger (didn’t I introduce it to you or something like that many moons ago???). Andy’s fly offers a much leaner profile which I prefer to use later in Spring and Summer when the bass feed more aggressively. The extra element in the design provided by the marabou is a terrific movement trigger.

I carry them both. I believe in them both. I catch with them both. Dragonfly nymphs (and adults) are a big part of my game for bass (I know -- you already know that).

David what are your thoughts on the two designs and field applications?

Hairstacker that’s a nice shot. There’s certainly a beautiful color scheme and striking markings on that smallie.

Here's a pretty basic pic of the Thunder Worm. The back half is tied onto a long shank hook with the bend clipped. The long shank helps keep the fly from fouling.

Cheers, K
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Default Bass Gear?

What type of rod, reel and line set-ups do folks use for bass fishing? I am planning on focusing more of my fishing time on warm water species, including smallmouth bass in the Russian. I have cleared out some trout gear and now have some funds for a bass set-up. I have been eyeing the Sage Largemouth package. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Ken -
    Yes , indeed .... you did introduce me to Dragonbugger from your great write-up in Fly Tier (or some such mag. ....) years ago . Thanks , BTW ....

The K.Dragon is a fine fly , as is the Dragonbugger . I also have used both to great effect . I prefer the K.D. fished hi-stick , dead drift in water with good current . I find that it fouls less than the D.B. (K.Dragon also works very well in stillwater) . The only mod I've made to it is a flaired Wool body and Bugskin leather wingcase , instead of dubbing and turkey .

Dragonbugger fishes VERY well , no matter the type of water . I have found that , strangely ..... Dragonbugger seems to get hit a LOT harder than other Dragons I've used , and I'm not at all sure exactly why . It does foul on ocassion . It is one of my 10 go-to bugs for pretty much anything I fish for in freshwater .

Like you , I'm happy to carry both of them .

Thunder Worm looks pretty neat !! Furrled Antron , no doubt .... You come up w/ some really cool flies .

Thanks for your opinions , Ken - great information !!!!!!

Goblin (what a handle !!) -

Your 5 and 6 wt. gear will work fine on the russian . The Sage Largemouth would be serious overkill on those little coastal Bass . Get ahold of Gene Fassi (He works at Western Sport shop over your way) and Lee S. (well-known Flyfisher from your area) , they will let you know where/what/how for the area .

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post

Goblin (what a handle !!) -

Your 5 and 6 wt. gear will work fine on the russian . The Sage Largemouth would be serious overkill on those little coastal Bass . Get ahold of Gene Fassi (He works at Western Sport shop over your way) and Lee S. (well-known Flyfisher from your area) , they will let you know where/what/how for the area .

David
    Thanks for the tip. I might just hang onto one of my faster action 5-weight rods for smallmouth fishing. I have been meaning to head up to Western Sport Shop in Santa Rosa to check their inventory and get some recommendations on a largemouth rod.

The Goblin...one of my favorite flies. I think its a great fly, so I figured it would make a good forum name.

Thanks, Steve

Steve, as a general approach for smallies, I think your idea of hanging on to one of your faster action 5-weight rods is a good one. In fact, I plan to pursue smallies this spring with just such a rod.

As far as largemouths, I spend the vast majority of my time pursuing these in the Delta, where you will find me using a heavier rod. Your faster action 5 wt. can handle most of the largemouths you will hook into on the Delta no problem and it will often be very sporting, but you will also run into a fish now and then that will make you wish you had brought something heavier, especially with all of the cover you will find on the Delta (weeds, tules, etc.). Thus, for Delta largemouth fishing, my go-to rod is a 7 wt. rod.

I’ve never fished the Sage Largemouth rod package, but I understand there are folks who do enjoy using them for Delta largemouths. I’ve even toyed with the idea of getting one myself for this purpose.

As far as reels, just about anything will do. You’ll usually find me using one of my standard Orvis Battenkill reels matched to the rod I’m using.

I use a 6 wt. bass bug tapered weight forward floating fly line on my 5 wt. rod and an 8wt. bass bug tapered weight forward floating fly line on my 7 wt. rod.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Mike,

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the 5-weight. I was actually thinking about selling one before posting my question. I have a Galvan OB-4 that I can reduce the amount of backing and make room for a bass tapered 6-wt. line. Do I dare ask how well a bass tapered line roll casts?

Thanks.

Well Goblin,
    You are in for a treat doing smallies on the Russian. Your 5 sound grand. I have done well enough with either a small surf-candie or a dark woolybugger to be entertained for a day.
    I sure do want to get David over here for a "float trip" on said waters.
    Oh yeah, Russian River Fly Fishers, in Santa Rosa, has some access to some GREAT smallie water on the river too.
    .....lee s.

Do I dare ask how well a bass tapered line roll casts?
    I don't recall the last time I roll-casted one of these but I suspect you'll find it roll casts no differently than any other line out to about 50', after which point all weight forward lines fail as you run into the thinner running line.
    -- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    One of these days, we're going to have to chase down some of those legendary blue-phased smallies you told me about.

Mike -

I have a feeling that I mis-identified those Bass . After catching several and doing the A/B w/ Smallmouth ...... I THINK they might be Redeye Bass , not Smallies .

It's kind of difficult to really tell , as I am not a biologist (wish I knew somebody who could examine some scale samples ) . Since there are four species in some of my creeks , the Bass could very well be hybrids ??

I need to get in gear and actually get some GOOD photos of the comming season's spoils ....

D. -

I need to get in gear and actually get some GOOD photos of the comming season's spoils ....
    That would be great! I've always found the variations in colors/markings interesting. Remember this spot you caught -- love the vivid markings it had:

Photos of Redeye Bass with blue cheeks would be cool to see too.
    -- Mike