Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Bass season checklist !!

Talking Pre-Bass season checklist !!

That's right !!

I've had some VERY good Pond and Lake fishing starting in Feb . , so it might be time for you to get the checklist out ......

New tippet spools ?? Don't break off a piggy due to old mono .....

Wash and dress your floating lines ?? I use Ivory soap and a washrag to scrub , and Zipcast to dress my dry lines . Make sure the line is rinsed clean and dried BEFORE dressing .

Spruce up those Bass Bugs - you can wash a Deerhair bug in warm (not hot) water w/ Ivory , pat or press it dry , and STEAM it to restore the shape . Subsurface flies covered in dried Moss from last season can use a cleaning , also .

Check your kit - Carry spare Hemo's (ever drop a pair in the drink ?? Hmmmmmm ....) , a good hook-hone (EZ-Lap for me) , spare clippers (one in the kit , the other on a cord around your neck) , and Dave's Bug Floatant . A few foam indicators and a sack of splitshot could come in useful . Always carry a clean rag or bandana for dirty glasses/fish-slime removal .

Reels cleaned and lubed ? Try FluidFilm for the lube-job .

Wash the Bug Rod in the shower , dry it , and spray some furniture polish on it . Bass Rods can be filthy after a trip or 10 .....

Tie-up new leaders . You are using fresh mono , of course .

Check the flyline/backing connection .

Check the flyline/leader connection .

Current licence w/ whatever tags/stamps you need ??

The correct flies for top-to-bottom fishing - if the March water is 53 degrees .... it doesn't make much sense to carry only topwater stuff .... include your Buggers/Craws/Leeches/Etc. ..... Carry MORE than you will need .

A small box of non-Bass flies ?? Some nymphs for Sunnies/Trout could be handy .

Small first aid kit - Tick removal device (fingernails work well , don't use your teeth) , fabric Band-Aids , Tweezers , etc. .

Clean water bottle/Camelback ??

Sunblock and Lip balm ????

That should get ya started !

David

The above public message was made for your viewing (and fishing) pleasure.

Nice job David. Good solid suggestions. Too early? Never. It's always the right time to check your tackle.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Thanks Ken !!

A few years back .... Ed Wahl and I found some VERY willing Bass in mid-Feb. . It was a welcome change from the slow Steelhead/Striper fishing of late Winter .

What do you carry in your early-season box , Ken ?

D. -

Great post David! Re-filled the leader wallet last week and will check on fly lines next. Even though I completed my swap flies, I'm still tying sculpins, as I don't want to run out like we did last year.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    ....... I'm still tying sculpins, as I don't want to run out like we did last year.
    That was a crazy day !

Remember the really HOT day we went out ?

I can still see you tyin' on that friggity HUGE Chart/White Clouser - I thought "What the......" ??!? Then , getting BANGED three times on the first cast !! Fun stuff !

I also recall going thru my box ...... tying-on whatever I thought they WOULDN'T eat and being wrong every time .......

D. -

Was that the day you pulled all those big smallies out of that one deep hole? I'll never forget how those fish tried to turn your 4 wt. rod into a pretzel. I seem to recall you got those on your little mohair leech pattern. I have a box full of those leeches now.
    -- Mike

That would have been the same day .

I think that's the first time I ever felt serious PANIC while fishing a creek - horrible ol' Smallie trying to drag me in and drown me ...... ! Remember the Smallmouth off the bridge on the Bugskin Craw ?? That was a pretty funny moment .

They sure are cool lil' fishes .

D. -

Say hey David,
    Early season I like using the following patterns most of the time:
    1. Whitlock Hair Grub
    2. Whitlock Near Nuff Sculpin
    3. Kaufmann Dragonfly Nymph
    4. my own Mayan Warrior (olive/brown version as a dragonfly nymph)
    5. my own Thunder Worm (articulating style pattern)

Of course there is always other stuff in the collection. Top-to-Bottom options are with me on every outing.

Go with whatever patterns you fully believe in. Fish with a purpose. Fish with confidence. I think the most important thing in anyone’s collection is “confidence.” Enjoy!
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Quote Originally Posted by k.hanley View Post
    Early season I like using the following patterns most of the time:
    1. Whitlock Hair Grub
    2. Whitlock Near Nuff Sculpin
    3. Kaufmann Dragonfly Nymph
    4. my own Mayan Warrior (olive/brown version as a dragonfly nymph)
    5. my own Thunder Worm (articulating style pattern)

I've yet to see the Thunder-Worm , got any photos ??

I'm curious as to how you feel about Kaufmann's Dragon VS. Dragonbugger . I use both and much prefer the Dragonbugger .

D. -

Must say, I sure enjoy catching those spotties too. Really cool markings on some of those, like this one you caught:

One of these days, we're going to have to chase down some of those legendary blue-phased smallies you told me about.
    -- Mike