Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nuc and desal

Mike O Guest

Default re: rewatering the Delta

I have no problem with nuc power, matter of fact, I think our fears are without value. However, coming from the Area of the Diablo Canyon plant on the Central Coast, something would have to be done about the thermal plume from any (nat'l gas, nuc, or otherwise) which the the toughest byproduct of steam electrical power generation. Gotta cool the water or algal blooms, salmon and other fish die-offs would be incredible.

Off Diablo Canyon, fish from warmer waters thrive in the cove where the outflow is.

Default Outfall Plumes....

Good points. As for nuclear power generation, the technology is proven and reliable. However, my concern is always with the people involved in operations/maintenance of these facilities. The biggest problems at Rancho Seco were the result of mistakes and bad decisions by workers/managers (IMHO, the capper was the decision to allow low level, radiated cooling water to run down Clay Creek along Twin Cities Road and thinking nobody would notice).

As I recall, the warm water plume from the outfall pipe at King Harbor, Redondo Beach was credited for raising the water temps in Santa Monica Bay about 1 degree F back in the 50's. The result was a explosion in the population of Spiny Sea Urchins (always had to pick the spines out of my feet after a diving trip ). Urchins are very pretty creatures (and edible ) but damage Kelp forests.

All you divers know that if you crack one of 'em open (in the water), the flesh will attract a crowd in a hurry....
    Last edited by Darian; 02-26-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown