Thread: Suggestions/Partner(s) wanted for April trip North

Default Suggestions/Partner(s) invited for April trip North

I've been happily "stuck" steelheading in CA/Southern Oregon for years, and haven't minded a bit... until this year. Man, what happend?. I hooked some real toads out of the American just couple years back and we all know about the Trinity numbers last year. The SF Eel was very kind to me as well. But this year, urg! Clear is okay, but low AND clear is not my style. I haven't the motivation to even go. Same old, same old.

Out of frustration, I'm planning a trip in mid-late April to fish a few new rivers for me, perhaps the area of the Trask/Wilson/Nestucca/Nehalem West of Portland (are they open to fishing in April?) or the Skagit/Sauk.

Water condition and fish density of the fishery will ultimately dictate the venue and I'l be fishing 4-5 days, but I'm making plans now.

If you're thinking of planning a similar trip and would like partner up, or will be there and wouldn't mind fishing toghether for a little bit and/or share a stream-side beer, send me a pm. Fishing with new faces is half (okay, perhaps only 1/4th) the fun!

If you can't go but have some helpful info or insight to share, feel free to offer it here.

Ron
    Last edited by WinterrunRon; 02-12-2009 at 11:37 AM.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

The Tillamook rivers do not have much access for bank fishing and some spots are pay to play only. You really need a drift boat to fish them unless you want to join the crowds at the few places that are not private. The Springers usually show up in May/June but may be a few early birds there in April. Hook one of them on steelhead gear and it will light up your world. Often considered the highest prize in that region.

Check the regs for Oregon, some coastal streams close March 31.

prime time on the oregon coastal rivers is now thru the end of march. There will be fish in april but not as many as the skagit. About as much boat traffic. The tillamook rivers have tons of bank access. You just need to find it.

Thanks for your reply.

Pay to play? Care to elaborate? Not sure I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Covelo View Post
    The Tillamook rivers do not have much access for bank fishing and some spots are pay to play only. .
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

go to creeksideflyfishing.com. call and ask for rich youngers. he is one of the best fly guides in the tillamook basin and i can vouch for him. maybe even visit his new shop in downtown salem!!

you might also check out:

http://www.speywater.com/

Both Mike McCune and Scott O'Donnell guide the Tillamook region in the spring and Ed Ward guides the Washington Rivers and maybe the Oregon ones also.

You might try to get one or more days guiding and then go on your own. Bruce and I head up there every spring to fish with Scott for several days

A few land owners charge for access to fish. Pay to play.

Default Mucho thanks

Thanks for the suggesstons and info, appreciate it.

No takers on the partnering up, so I'm leaving the drift boat home and made plans to fish solo. Heading to the Olympic Peninsula in late March for a week and to the Skagit/Sauk in late April for a week. With this rain, it looks good for our coastal rivers to be in better shape to give up a few fish. Woohoo! Can't wait to say goodbye to low and clear! In the interim, I'll fill the void by getting the drift boat out on the Eel and/or Trinity. Bring on the rain!
    Last edited by WinterrunRon; 02-14-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Might want to check the regs as the Sauk/Skagit has been closed in April recently.