Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jets on the Trinity

Default jet boats on the T

Thanks for all the support.
    Just to add some clarification, the jet boat races on the Trinity, were formally moved to Hoopa from Willow Creek a few years ago after a ghastly head on boat accident killed a racer.
    The races have been held in Hoopa since then.
    My idea to ban motorized boats on the Trinity River, was to ban them from Hawkins Bar in Trinity County below the Burnt Ranch falls, down stream to Tish Tang below the entrance to the reservation. Therefore, the Tribe does not need to be involved.
    I will enlist the help of CalTrout, Friends of the Trinity, and any other entity who would like to chime in on this important issue.
    More to come in the next few weeks and months!
    I live on the Trinity River and flyfish, catch and release, almost everyday if I can.

Some sort of a ban is needed. We have to be careful what we ask for, though. Many guides use a small gas motor (5-15) on drift boats to motor through frog water sections. I think we can all agree that is not a major disruption.

I am surprised none of these guys has rolled one of these boats. Hopefully we won't have to wait for that to happen -- a big assed jet boat accident..

So it seems limiting the size of any motor would be the ticket, in my opinion.

Default well, that's just nuts...

I can see a drift boat guy using a low hp outboard reasonably on that part of the river, but defineitley a 5 mph or "no wake" kind of limit makes sense. About the time they run over or otherwise drown one of us the authorities MIGHT act on their own. Thanks for bringing this up!

-Mike

The trinity is all about oars. No motors!

No motors! How about no boats? There was a time when, outside of the Klamath, there were almost no boats above tidewater. How about like it was on the Kispiox when I fished up there, where you could use a boat to travel on the river, but you had to get out of the boat to fish? On rivers like the Smith and the Eel, there used to be water where the fish could be safe. Now, there are hardly any places on the river where they aren't pounded.
    OK now, I'm ducking for cover.......

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    I can see a drift boat guy using a low hp outboard reasonably on that part of the river, but defineitley a 5 mph or "no wake" kind of limit makes sense. About the time they run over or otherwise drown one of us the authorities MIGHT act on their own. Thanks for bringing this up!

-Mike
    And that's exactly what the County ordinance is on most of the American River, about upstream of 16th St. It is posted. That's 5 mph (as in five), not 10, not 20 mph, and not 30 mph. It erodes the bank, and is dangerous. Do not do it.

I call the sheriff each and every time I see a jetboat, jetski, or outboard boat, exceeding the limit, wait for them to respond, and call again if they don't. I don't care if you are joe sixpack or joe flyfisherman guide. If you are speeding up and down the river it is because you haven't got caught, yet.

Slow down and have a nice day.

Default mega sleds

This is very disturbing for anyone who doesn't like spooked fish.

My buddy wants to put a trip together to fish the lower sac, but insists on taking that monster 21-foot NorthRiver IO Jet. I have these youthful memories of passing up beautiful drifts, all the while running from gridley to the low-flow and practically emptying the entire river at the feet of shore anglers. I'm wantin to take the little 14-foot sled with oars so we can drift.

But once someone gets their hand on all that muscle, it's hard to let it go!
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.