Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets on the Trinity

Default Jets on the Trinity

I have lived on the Trinity River for a quarter of a century, and all of a sudden there are jet sleds and other jet powered boats (jet skis and driftboats with jet engines), showing up on the Wild and Scenic sections of the river between Hawkins Bar and Hoopa.
    Most of the jet sleds are out of the area guides for non-flyfisherman. I have seen as many as five jet sleds on the same day packed with up to five clients.
    Jet skis arrive in spring and launch from a variety of areas and whine up and down the river.
    You can imagine what it feels like when a jet sled blasts by when I am waist deep in the water, and a large fast boat blasts by. Most captains don't even acknowledge that they just swamped you and disturbed the entire river system with the extreme noise level.
    The Ranger from the USFS could not believe that this was actually happenning on a section of the Trinity River that is small, narrow, and designated "Wild and Scenic". He has committed to help with the banning of motorized boats on this section.
    I am in the process now of trying to arrange a ban on motorized boats from this section of the river(except for emergency/ government boats).
    What does this Board think, and who has experience/expertice with the process?
    Motorized boats have been long banned on parts of the Smith River for the same reasons, so hopefully a precedent has been set.
    I live on the Trinity River and flyfish, catch and release, almost everyday if I can.

Default jets

Stevie,

As someone who has fished the Trinity since the 1960's, this is very disturbing.

Thanks for taking the initiative to get involved, we need more people who are willing to put in the time it takes to stop the needless degradation of our rivers and our outdoor experience.

Brian
    Brian Endlich

I would bet it has something to do with the Sac being closed to Salmon. The Trinity has been popular with the jet boat racers so I bet they would fight it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juK5fx2lXvA

Default Jets of Rivers

This has probably happened to a lot of us elsewhere in other rivers. If you wade anywhere there is that risk. I know I've had it happen to me more than once on the Feather in the lowflow and also on the American below Watt and also at Paradise.

If you can think clearly before being run over, try and get their CF number off their boat. Also any identifying things about the boat ie. make, color, name of guide service, etc. This information then should be reported to the local sheriff's department along with filing a formal complaint.

I understand too that jets sometimes can only function under full throttle and have to be up on plane in order to steer. But there is still the safety factor that the driver of the jet must consider first and that is the safety of those people around him.

If he is driving recklessly and putting anyone in harm's way then he needs to be reported.

Any of you old Sacramento guys will remember the jet boat rides they used to take up the American. It was like the mailboat rides on the Rogue. Big boats blasting over everything in front of them would start at the mouth of the American and go all the way past Watt Ave. to ? I don't know where. Anyone fishing or wading or swimming would always get knocked off their feet. That business didn't last long and then they put up the 5 mph law for the entire river.

But, it still happens when guys want to use jets. They just have to reported.
    TONY
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

They recently outlawed jets/power boats above Daguerre Dam on the Lower Yuba River.

I think the Trinity River is too small for any kind of power boats.

Not to upset anyone but drift boats are bad enough in the upper river.

We fished it sense the 1970s and that just doesn't seem right............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I may be way off scientifically, but from my own observation....in rivers with a significant amount of jet use, you will notice the dead zone between the water and the bank.
    The constant splashing of water on the bank seems to kill the riparian zone there. You can see it on many places on the rogue where the 40 person jet boats fly by. I wonder what effect, if this phenomena is consistent from river to river, has on the ability of bugs and what not to get in the water, shade, bank erosion, etc....

Shawn,
    The disturbing part of that video is that they seemed to get out and walk away, only to repeat the process another day, supposedly. Seems there should be some way to ensure that scene happenning on all of the streams mentioned whenever they intrude.......that exact same scene.
    ....lee s.

Hey SS
    I've seen them too and have to agree that I'd like to see them banned or at least a 5 mph limit as on the American which would in essence get rid of them due to the lack of control at that low speed. If you find that there are things (letters, etc.) that we can do to help you out in seeing this happen, please let us know what we can do .
    slim

There needs to be a ban, but it needs to be worded so as that it allows for a special use permit to be granted for certain ocassions such as the boat races. That would keep all parties (except for the river raping jet boat sled opperators) happy. There is not room for jet boats and wading anglers to coexist on that river. I have not seen it yet but I can only imagine how pissed I would be if i was in that canyon and I got buzzed by a jet boat.

there is one other way to deal with this,,,carry about 50 feet of floating waterski rope with something sort of heavy tied to one end...when you hear them coming give it a toss out...nothing will disable a jet boat for an hour better than floating water ski rope

Steve, I may be wrong but I think that the motor ban on the Smith is a County ordinance. So you may be dealing with two agency's, Humboldt County and the Hoopa Tribe. You might try to contact Tom Weseloh, Cal Trout's rep on the North Coast. If I can help let me know.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.