Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Line/Rod Testing Results

SSpey,
    I also agree with your assessment on the 6126. Lines in the range of 6wt. always seemed to work out pretty well for me. There are many casting styles and some casters do prefer heavier lines. Each angler needs to see what works best for them.

reel world brings up an interesting concept in tweaking lines. Why cut back a 550 skagit to almost 450 grains when you could just use the 450 and get close?

The 550 is a much better winter line for throwing T-14 and big flies than the 450 as it is significantly heavier grains per foot to help turn big stuff over.

That is why I think the 475 short skagit would rock on this rod!!

The downside for some is that this is getting pretty short for the standard skagit formula of 3 to 3.5 times rod length for a 12.5' rod and it certainly requires modifying your casting stroke a bit to work with the shorter lines. Once you dial that in though, it becomes incredibly easy to launch these shorter lines!!

It seems one would cut back a 550 to 450 in order to increase the grains per foot, which would turn over heavier tips better. This would be basically making a skagit short and/or skagit compact. Riveraddict had the best explanation of the physics behind this (and skagit casting in general) on speypages. And as far as I know the skagit ratio has been modified to 2.5-3.5 times the rod length. So, it is all up to us to change our strokes . But, this raises an interesting point, why not put the 12.5'er in the closet and grab the 11'8wt switcher? Shorter, heavier head + shorter rod = effortless casting???

I am itching to try the 475 short and the 480 CS.

Mike

Default They are all GOOD!

My perspective: How hard do you want to work and what water is "open" to fish?

I cast an 11' switch rod with a "cut back" Rio Skagit 650 to 22' and 550 gr with a 12.5' LC13 tip on a small to medium size river with deep pockets (10-15+') because it let's me fish someplace where I can't cast a 12.5-13' rod due to backcast limitations (read, trees and shrubs and a steeply angled bank). Timing is everything with a shorter heavier loaded set-up but it works like magic!
    But I much prefer to cast a 13-14' rod to deliver the same grain load if I am fishing a broader river with a wider gravel bar (less angled and vegetated) with more back cast options. Effortless casting and fishing but this water is easy to fish, even with a single handed rod so "standing in line" to fish is the deterrent.
    I take both options to the river, most all rivers have both types of water, see what water is "open" and use the technique which applies to the water that is open and looks like it holds fish and hasn't been "pounded".