Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Line/Rod Testing Results

Default Line/Rod Testing Results

We did a little rod/line testing on sunday. Here's what we came up with.

Scott ARC 1287: Tossed a 510 skagit, could handle a 540/550 maybe better (need the line for confirmation).

Scott ARC 1308: Could problably toss the 540/550 a mile (see above).

Anderson 1265: Very fun rod. Rocks with a 400ish scandi line and a 6/7 spey line

Sage 6126: Threw a 510 skagit w/12' t-11 a mile but the rod felt a little heavy (maybe because I've never loaded this rod down to the cork before...). This road has been tough to get figured out. It seems that with lighter lines it is more of a tip casting rod, but with enough grains it has a lot of power all the way down to the cork.

TFO 11' 6wt switch: 420 skagit, 400 scandi (already had this dialed, thanks Bob).

Mike

Default Supplimental Info

Good stuff, Mike.

To fill the gap, here's what didn't work well.

Anderson 1265: 375 grains on the 1265 Anderson was not enough to load the rod and 450 Skagit was too much.

News Flash! Here's an email from Gary in response to my asking his opinion: Ron,
    I am glad that you like the rod. It was one of my personal favorites. There is quite a bit of middle ground between a mid length CND and a Rio skagit. If you want to use real 15' sink tips then a 400 grain skagit would work for me. If however you just want to use sinking poly leaders I would use a 400 gr. Beulah or a 400 gr. New ACR Steel Head line. that will be out in about two weeks. I am gone right now doing a show in Bellevue WA. If you want to talk more please call me at my shop after Feb. 10th. All Good Things, Gary.

ARC steelhead line? Sounds like Gary may have a line coming out in a couple of weeks.

ARC 1287: WindCutter 7/8/9 was a bit heavy, overpowering the rod when casting for distince, but castable with a slower, modified stroke, just not very pretty.

ARC 1308: WindCutter 7/8/9 casts admirably. However, heavy/bulky flies are work to cast. Also, you can throw away the sink tip compensator tip 2 in the Versitip pack. It goes out, but it goes out ugly and way too much work. Not a good option in my opinion. At least on this rod. But all the sink tips work great, as does the floating tip, as long as the fly has a profile with little resistance in its design.

The TFO switch is a beautiul looking rod. I can't believe the quality of work that goes into it. Handwritten rod info on the blank and a cork grip that looked like a custom lathed job to me. Really striking. And RIO's AFS shooting head on this rod is like casting air. Using a slow easy cast more similar to a skagit stroke than long belly stroke, a laser beam cast is generated that pierced the headwind we were casting in.

Sage 6126: This is a top-heavy feeling rod. I would not want to cast it all day. A nice caster, but I'm certain there's better choices in a much lighter feeling rod. The Z-Axis of similar specs was much lighter feeling.

A big thank you to Mike and Ryan for meeting me at Sailor's Bar to test out rods/lines. Lots of fun and good info learned and exchanged between us.

Hope this helps out anyone having similar interest.

Ron
    Last edited by WinterrunRon; 02-09-2009 at 12:11 PM.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

I have both the Scott 1287 and the Sage 6126 and I would definitely say the 550 skagit is a perfect match for the Scott. When I used to throw long bellies I used the original SA XLT 7 on it - actually I am pretty sure Way Yin designed that line around that rod.

I love the 450 skagit on the Sage 6126. Mine ( a custom rod that Gary built) broke this summer on the Klamath and I need to send it back to him for repairs but I would love to put the Skagit short 475 on that rod to play with.

I have the 450 for the 6126. I can't get it to work. It casts okay, but the rod performs much better with the heavier head. The 450 works okay but I wasn't able to get it turn over heavier tips. The compact 480 is next on my list of lines to try for it.

Have you found a scandi head that you like on the sage? I'm thinking of trying the a 450.

Mike

Default 6126-3

I have an older 6126-3 Euro brownie. I recently set it up with an Airflo compact skagit 450 gr and it seems to cast well with most tips I have tried. Also casts a Vision Ace short scandi head that I put on a scale weighed out at 470 grs.
    Brian Endlich

fwiw, I found a striking difference on the 6126-3 when comparing RIO vs. Compact 450 grain skagit lines, with the Compact generating much more line speed. I use skagits anywhere 420-470 on this rod with 10' tips, but reluctant to go heavier ever since a friend snapped his when loaded deep for skagit. For scandi 375-425 is preferred in my circle of friends. This rod can generate great line speed even when loaded lightly, which makes the casting feel lighter and more nimble, too.

Brian and SSpey,
    I haven't tried an airlfo 450 either on it. Just the rio skagit. A couple of us cast it with the rio 450 and we couldn't get it to take off. It feels like the airflos have more "pop". Putting the 450 and 480 compacts are next. But, before I know it it will be summer and I'll need a scandi line for it...so it goes.
    Thanks,
    Mike

no real need to use a scandi unless you want to - just use a floating tip on the skagit and it works great - I have been using skagits on the Klamath for several years with floating tips and they handle fine. You can grain down a bit if throwing smaller flies

But then if you are a line junky like many of us by all means carry on!

Rick, As much as I am getting into the Skagit style, I really love the light "ferrari-esque", kiss-and-go casting of the scandi lines. It's sort of fun to watch those tight loops sail out carrying summer run flies. That being said, I will be carrying the skagit+floater for when the wind kicks up (Deschutes in september comes to mind).
    See ya,
    Mike

Default The Skagit 550 and shorter tips like the Versi Sinking Tips work

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    I have the 450 for the 6126. I can't get it to work. It casts okay, but the rod performs much better with the heavier head. The 450 works okay but I wasn't able to get it turn over heavier tips. The compact 480 is next on my list of lines to try for it.

Have you found a scandi head that you like on the sage? I'm thinking of trying the a 450.

Mike
    I had one of these great rods until I got my Ridgeline pickup, and the rod wouldn't fit in the trunk or under the back seat. So I traded it and bought a Z6126, which is probably a better all around rod for our waters.

With any of these under 14' rods for many of us the old Standard 15' sinking tips just don't work. The old 6126-3 and the newer Z6126-4 with the sinking tips work better with the 10' Rio Spey Sinking Tips or even the older Trout 7' Versi Tips. Also, I like custom cut T14 from 3-6' with 6126-3.

On the Spey Page site, Ed Ward, the grand daddy of Skagit or Edgit Casting addresses the problem of developing enough line speed with your rod, Skagit line and tip to cast a fly. If your rod can't generate enough line speed and force (weight of the skagit/tip and Fly), it "ain't" working.

With both rods the Skagit 550 works the best with the shorter sinking tips as mentioned above.