Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are half pounders ? MR COLEVO PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by halibut View Post
    Sorry I cant help you, but I just wanted to affirm that the numerous scientific papers I have read state that steelhead and rainbows (before it is time to head out to salt) are no different. Some rainbows just decide to head out to sea (or the delta) and others dont, it is the decision to go to salt (and and get somewhat there) that makes them a steelhead, not biology.
    I'm not a biologist. Neither am I as educated on steelhead as I'd like to be. However, I've read that the rainbows don't just one day make a decision to go to salt. It is in their genetics. And they are predisposed to do so.

Did I misunderstand or are you saying otherwise?

I hope I'm not derailing this thread Carl. Just trying to get the facts straight in my head.

Speyfool,
    Before this one heads for the ditch, the scientific literature says that there is no genetic difference between a trout and steelhead. There is no way to predict if a juvenile will emigrate to the salt or stay in the creek.

Mike

....an 8 oz. cheeseburger or steak...

or the scientific description of a half pounder is a steelhead that has spent a short period of time, usually a summer, in the ocean or estuary then returns to the river as a sexually immature fish.

Default Its Covelo not Colevo

Here is a link to a previous discussion with good info on what a half pounder is. I agree with the comments that this is a very misused term. If you are catching 8-12 in dinks on the American, they are not half pounders. Half pounders are usually 13-15 inches, immature, and have been to the salt. On the Eel River, these fish entered the system in Sept when the river was low and clear. Many fly fishermen used to target them years ago down near Fortuna and at the mouth of the Van Duezen.

I do not fish the American much for steelhead, but it is hard to believe that there are no true half pounders considering the high percentage of Eel River stock and that the half pounder life cycle is so prevalent in the Eel River.

http://www.kiene.com/messageboard/vi...e0b4ef6baac4f0

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    Speyfool,
    Before this one heads for the ditch, the scientific literature says that there is no genetic difference between a trout and steelhead. There is no way to predict if a juvenile will emigrate to the salt or stay in the creek.

Mike
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess the material that I read was incorrect. All this time I thought that steelhead were predisposed to go to the ocean and had no say in the matter.

Default Half Pounders

While getting info for an article on the American River Steelhead, I interviewed the Steelhead fisheries biologist for DFG Division II (I think his last name was Henley) and he explained that the AR does not have what would be truly defined as "Half Pounders". The definition of "Half Pounders" is fish that have been out to sea or in the estuaries for about two years and have returned to the river system. These fish are generally sexually immature. They are indigenous to the North Coast Rivers but not the AR. What we mistakenly call "Half Pounders" are just smolts that hang around for a couple of years before going to the ocean. It is believed that they move around between the Feather, Sac, AR, Mok. SJ etc. Some venture into the saltier environment of the SF Bay and delta as can be attested by the sea lice that sometimes hitch a ride.

I do not know who you spoke with but a fish that spends 2 years in the salt is going to be way larger than 13-15 in. Many adult steelhead only spend 2 years in the salt. Read the thread that I included the link to in my first post. There is a lot of info there from people with far more knowledge on the biology of steelhead. As I stated above, it is hard to believe that there are no true half pounders in the American considering the heavy influence from the Eel River introductions and the known presence of the half pounder life cycle on the Eel River.

Quote Originally Posted by sierrapac View Post
    While getting info for an article on the American River Steelhead, I interviewed the Steelhead fisheries biologist for DFG Division II (I think his last name was Henley) and he explained that the AR does not have what would be truly defined as "Half Pounders". The definition of "Half Pounders" is fish that have been out to sea or in the estuaries for about two years and have returned to the river system. These fish are generally sexually immature. They are indigenous to the North Coast Rivers but not the AR. What we mistakenly call "Half Pounders" are just smolts that hang around for a couple of years before going to the ocean. It is believed that they move around between the Feather, Sac, AR, Mok. SJ etc. Some venture into the saltier environment of the SF Bay and delta as can be attested by the sea lice that sometimes hitch a ride.

two or three months not two years...a two year old steelhead would be an adult fish.

I am pretty sure that half-pounders go out in the winter/spring and come in the following fall. They may get out a bit or even stay more in the estuaries but don't follow the typical steelhead migration pattern

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    Speyfool,

Mike

So is this theory suggesting that a rainbow trout reared in a hatchery...say, the same strain they release into put and take lakes and streams...could suddenly decide to make a pilgrimage to the sea and become a steelhead?

The instinct to migrate to the ocean is jsut that, an instinct built into a species.