Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead holding water

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    Great post Shawn and really cool photos!!

Another thing to consider is often times a particular run can be broken down into different types of water. A typical run could have a relatively fast deep run down the middle with a distinct current edge and slower, softer water on both sides. If it has a cobble/rocky bottom, the fish could be either in the slow water or the faster, deeper water and you can't effectively fish both with a single system. If there are two of you, rig and fish different water. If you are by yourself fish it twice.

For the slow edges you might use a short tip (maybe 6 or 7.5') with an unweighted fly. Cast just into the fast seam and try to hold it on the edge for as long as possible and let it swing across slowly and fish until the hang down and the line stops swinging.

The second guy through (or the second pass) rig with maybe 10.5' or 12' tip and a heavier fly and cast either across or angling down and feed line to get it down quickly and let it swing across again as slow as possible but don't carry the swing into the slow water or you will hang up and you have already fished it. So swing to the current edge then step down and recast.

Depending on how wide the run is and how wadable, on this second pass I will wade out as far as I can to the edge of the fast water or beyond and try to get my cast across the fast current into the opposite side seam - put a big mend and really hold the rod high to keep line off the water and try to slow the swing as much as possible.

Often for winter fishing, I will cast then step down to help things sink a bit more
    To add to what you do Rick . I fish a plastic tube fly with a t-14 tip or 10 ft of 500 gr deep water express. The fly rides just above the tops of the submerged boulder. I dont loose as many flies that way.

So Shawn - what is your address? My truck is packed and I am on my way!!!! Love the photo of that last run!!!! It just screams steelhead.

Picking the side to fish as you discuss if you have that option is also a great thing to consider - if they tend to hold on the other side it can be tough to hold you fly in the productive water and move it slow enough. The long rods can sure help at times by letting you keep much more line off the water. But if you can be on the right side so now your fly swings slowly into the seam, your chances just went up big time.

Runs with large boulders can sure by fly grabbers - The unweighted fly as you suggest is a great option.

Cool

I was thinking of going to either BC or Olympic National Park. Man Shawn, your picts are making me think Olympic is the place to be

Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    I was thinking of going to either BC or Olympic National Park. Man Shawn, your picts are making me think Olympic is the place to be
    Truth be told If i had to choose between B.C or the O.P. I would choose a couple of zipperlip rivers on vancouver Island. The hottest fish I have ever hooked was a ten pounder on a tiny river. The fish tore me a new one, I lost it. I pulled up my line and checked my fly to see if it was still there. I let my line straight out To recast it. It went under the tree on the near bankwhere I lost my fish. Low and behold my indicator went down and I hooked the same fish again.

If you do come to the Penisula Make sure you wear a garlic necklace to repel the Vampires. LOl The stupid twilight fans are taking over the Penisula. Somebody even moved here from the east coast to open a stome to sell twilight momorabilia.
    Last edited by shawn kempkes; 02-05-2009 at 10:30 AM.

Robdog,
    Gee I would hate to have a dilemma that sucked that bad. Just so I can make things a bit tougher for you, my friend Bruce and I signed up through Keith Kaneko for a trip to Nicholas Dean out of Terrace a couple of springs ago and thought I would share some photos.

Fished alot of types of water from rather small systems to the Skeena. The most beautiful steelhead run I have ever seen was on the Kalum called Stumble Run due to all the big boulders

We had asked our guide Sky to please fish with us and he was fishing a light single-hander with a small streamer pattern behind us just in the soft water and came up with this beauty - so don't forget the soft water

Another fish from the Kalum

Here is a smaller river we fished:

And finally the Skeena and my biggest fish

Wherever you decide to go I am sure you will have a great time and lots of luck!!!

Man, those picts are very kewl. You are makin' me twist my arm.

Good pics. Just wanted to add, some times steelhead hang out in slow water. If it's really cold - especially a cold snap after the water was recently a lot warmer - they will almost ALL be in slow water. As slow as in that picture, although probably more at the head and ideally in a bit deeper water say 6-9 ft. Otherwise they use up too much energy holding in faster water. I've experienced this phenomenon from California to BC. The fish would be against the bank in the fastest part of the slow hole and it would hold more fish if there were boulders in there. The only difference from those pictures is you'd see snow on the riverbank.

If I had the pick of all those I'd take that tailout above the rapids. That is so fishy it's making me jones for my March trip to Forks.
    Last edited by bigtj; 02-08-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Robdog,

If you are going to do a long steelhead trip go to BC. Fall in BC is so incredibly awesome. You can fish a floating line the entire time and catch fish on dries and catch a lot more numbers than forks.

Do both if you can but if you have to choose one trip go to BC. Just make sure you know what you are doing or hire a guide at either place.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by bigtj View Post
    Robdog,

If you are going to do a long steelhead trip go to BC. Fall in BC is so incredibly awesome. You can fish a floating line the entire time and catch fish on dries and catch a lot more numbers than forks.

Do both if you can but if you have to choose one trip go to BC. Just make sure you know what you are doing or hire a guide at either place.
    Thanks for the tip. I have been practicing (mostly getting skunked) here in my local Cali rivers, but today was a good day

No longer a drought blog! Way to go Robdog!