Thread: Situk River In May

Default Situk River In May

I'm taking a trip to Alaska, fishing Situk River for steelhead. I'm looking for any info about this, flies, tips, any little tidbits I can get my hands on. I've started researching stuff online and have gathered some info, but I'm looking for some first hand knowledge from anyone whos been there. What flies should I tie up or use for that matter. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Default alaska forum

hi...I was there for sockeye last summer...I mined this forum for information and had several local guys up there pm me with good info...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...splay.php?f=15

Good luck! The steelie pics on the walls at the lodge were pretty impressive.

-Mike

Dont blow this place up.

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post
    Dont blow this place up.
    I'm confused by this.
    So know I can't ask for info about a place that not a whole people can even afford to go and fish. It's not like everyone's going to jump in there car and head up there this weekend.

UMMMM, actually the Situk in May is where everyone and there brother fishes. So yes, everyone jumps in their airplane (& car) and heads there! #1 steelhead river in AK and it ain't no secret! Expect crowds, and a lot of big steelies. Oh yeah, bring a lot of leaders & flies because the Situk in one of the snaggiest rivers you'll ever fish!

My experience there matches Bob's exactly...this is a river in AK that you can drive to from town and it's famous for steelhead...and it's a snaggy bugger.

-m