Thread: 42 inches of rumor

Default 42 inches of rumor

Check out the blog on this.

http://www.riversofalostcoast.com/index.php/roalc_blog/

Anybody heard anything?

Interesting. Is the basin considered the area above the Hazel bridge? Or directly below? Or perhaps it is both?

I've only fished once in that area. So, I'm not familiar. When I was there, a lot of people were targeting spawning salmon, so I left and haven't returned (stay in the El Manto area now).

Yea I think so. I think it's that crazy place where the are hordes of anglers. That's why I was wondering if anyone saw anything?

I'd like to believe it but without pics who knows. In this age of cameras, the absence of pics makes something like a 42"er hard to believe. That being said, here's to hopin'!!!!

Mike

where I live fish over 42 inches are pretty comon.Two weeks ago the tribal gillnetters caught a 31 pounder in their nets. A local taxadermist bought it from them and he is using it to make a mold. Sad that fish died.

my buddy caught and released a fish he said was 41.5 inches with a 23 inch girth last week. But a 42 incher on the american is possible but probably another bs story.
    Last edited by shawn kempkes; 01-30-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Carl

My address says Port Angeles Washington but it is closer to Forks than Pa. So to answer your question no I don't live in Santa Rosa any more. I don't miss it one bit. I have wanted to move here for a long time. I only have to walk about 150 ft to cast to steelhead in the Sol duc.
    Last edited by shawn kempkes; 01-30-2009 at 06:45 PM.

carl pm sent

Sounds like 42 inches of baloney to me. If I had a dollar for every trout and steelhead that I've seen caught stretched out by 4 to 8 inches I'd be a millionaire.

As far as 42 inch steelhead being "pretty common", come on Shawn I know you fish the OP but seriously man those fish aren't "pretty common". Pretty common is 36-40". I have been fishing for steelhead for over 20 years and I have landed exactly one steelhead over 40 inches and that was on the Sol Duc in Washington, it was 20.75 by 20 1/4. I bet that in the entire US the number of fly-caught steelhead 42 inches or bigger is less than 10 fish a year. Considering the California all-time record is 42 inches I would hardly call that "pretty common" I would call it "not impossible but highly unlikely"
    Last edited by bigtj; 01-31-2009 at 09:47 PM.

I snorkeled the river this after noon for about a 1.5 mile drift. I didn't see any steelhead over 41 inches.

MN