Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Redds

Pretty sad. Last year while on the bike trail I saw a couple fly flingers in a well known spawning area. One was up high spotting for the one fishing. Pretty disgusting.

The area in the pic at Sailor bar (fishermen standing) usually have very few redds.There is mostly larger rock and cobble. Most of the beds are above the riffle about 50 yards as that's where the better water is. There are very few beds in that riffle. Most of the guys out there are very aware of the redds and where they walk.I have fished that area and can tell you its a bitch wading.

Last year most of the bead lining was in the smooth water,guys with flyrods would cast above a fish and try to bead/hook them in the side of the mouth.

The steelhead fishing was clearly better when the Upper American was closed till April 1st.
    Now everyone knows where to fish... nice going
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

Mike, you are correct for the most part, but I have seen many steelhead trying to spawn in the riffles. These snaggers don't seem to have any problem rippin them right off there redd. Looks like the guy in the boat is no more ethical.

Yep you know the ones. There are a few slots in that riffle and the snaggers are usually above and below. When the water was higher the island above Sunrise bridge was even worse. That's where I got into it with two of those A@#%les.
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

just stay the hell out of the redds. Stay away.

Nice job. Take closer pictures next time, print a flyer with each guys face on it lifesize, and post the flyers in the parking lot.

Public shame works wonders.

Default where are the tweakers when you need 'em

if only there were more cars getting broken into on the american... maybe it'd keep people away from the redds
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Revel View Post
    if only there were more cars getting broken into on the american
    That is the last thing we need.

OK I have to chime in here, I know I am going to draw some heat for this but here it goes....I have worked for/with some really good fisheries guys in this state I am no longer in that line of work but I keep my foot in the door, I have even done some work studying salmon redds, you really have to work hard to hurt one of those things. I am also good friends with a couple big time fisheries guys and asked them about this yesterday..their opinion was exactly what I thought it would be...you pretty much have to get in there and make a huge effort to cause damage...if you are carefully wading around the areas you are not doing damage. just my 2 cents

Question

This is the first season I have ever wade fished rivers that are anandroumous?...anadromous?...androgynous?...anero genous?...applesaucerous?...(rivers that run unobstructed to the ocean). I imagine as the years pass I will learn where the redds usually are in the rivers I fish, but for now, I often find mysef unknowingly wading to within sight of the redds. I either back off or detour around (upstream, if possible) the bright gravel patches, but worry that I may be treading on older redds that aren't as bright. I would like to reiterate Fats' question; will a redd remain easy to see (algae not re-covering the rocks) until after the eggs hatch and alevin leave? How wide a berth do others give these bright patches?
    Thanks,
    Kurt
    Last edited by Kurt P; 01-27-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: I'm anal-compulsive

Additional signage would really help educate those willing to be educated, but also more explicit information on the signs would also help educate fisher-people (i.e. picture of a redd, date ranges in which eggs/alevin are most likely to be present in the redds, etc).