Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vancouver Island in August

I have fly fished wading in saltwater with Courtney Ogilvie and recommend him. Small world.

Huw Davies posts are dead on.

If your wife wants a little more luxury or if golf comes into play look at area around Parksville and Qualicum Beach. Lots of B & B's plus couple of reasonably priced resorts.

www.vancouverisland.com is great site to start for the entire island. I think its part of BC Tourism. Has links to a few guides.

Contact several guides to see if they do what it is you want. And make sure you are specific about what it is and when you want to do.

Default Trip report

I fished for three days last week with Courtney Ogilvie. Landed four species: coho and pink salmon, sea-run cutthroat, and steelhead.

First day was at the mouth of a river on the north shore of the island past Sayward. We hooked several pinks on the swing/strip using bright pink and green sparse flies. We also saw some monster chinooks jumping 1/4 mile out into the strait.

Second day was on a river on the north island swinging for steelhead. Tested my reel drag with a few coho and the steelhead in the picture. Hooked an even larger steelhead on a pink fly that jumped once and broke off. I'd see the pink fly swim by every 15 minutes or so.

Third day I fished on my own on the Campbell River. Landed lots of pinks and a cutthroat.

Great fishing in a rural place. It was lots of fun to fish very near the ocean, or in the ocean, for salmon on a fly.

My wife spent a few days in Vancouver then ferried over to the island and we went wine tasting and spent the night at a B&B.

Thanks for all the help in the posts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greg Steel 050809 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	641  
    Greg

Default Awesome!

I am so jealous! Vancouver Island this time of year is so pretty. Did you have a chance to go to Gold River for some summer runs? They aren't big but they are sure fun up there. Want to go for the big guys in winter one day. So glad you had fun up there.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

Default Forest fires...

I didn't get the chance to go to the Gold. There was a massive fire on the river and the guide was not sure we'd be able to get in and out.

I can't imagine how much fun the big winter steelhead would be. I hope you get a chance to go.
    Greg