Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISE San Mateo vs ISE Sacramento

Yo! Ken,
    I think maybe one draw-back for the shows is that there are just way too many of them.
    Not being a gear junkie, there was little draw for me here, though we DO like to "hands-on" stuff. However, I feel for the vendor who has to pay such elevated prices for their display booth (or BOOTHS!). No wonder there are so few DEALS left for those that go to a show for that reason mainly. The promotor has "aquired" the deals. Scratch that benefit and scratch those participants....in general.
    It used to be an inexpensive way to shoot a day, but with gas, bridge, admission, AND parking, my tab is over $50.00 for the day. More for some, less for others. For some, it could be more and for some it is prohibitive with family expenses etc. Scratch a few more. We can go fishing for the day and see a GRAND local presentation at Kiene's or maybe the Outdoor Pro Shop......ALL for less.
    There are still two things that cannot be had elsewhere. Where can you go to see Ken H., Jay M,, Denny R., Jack D., Dan B. or David Lee tie, generally all in a day, and go BS with them at a booth after? AND watch so many great tyers and BS with them too.
    Which bring us to the other draw, BS'ing. Where else can you go and enjoy such concentrated fishing BS?
    The law of supply and demand will prevail....whether we get a bail-out or NOT!
    The shows.....I LOVE'em.
    ....lee s.

For me it is being able to buy something related to tying. There is none of this at the shows anymore. There are no booths from Mustad, Partridge, Wapsi, Renzetti, Dynaking, the list goes on. 2 years ago at the Pleasanton show, Stone River Outfitters from New Hampshire came and brought a ton of materials for sale. I talked to the guy and mentioned to him that I didn't expect to get any price deals, this show had to cost him ten grand total, he said I hit it right on. They sold alot of stuff in 3 days, and I mean ALOT, given the retail markup, no way did they make their ten grand back. They haven't been back to the show since.

I realize it is not a tying show, for example a hunting show might not have reloading supplies, that is how I view a flyfishing show having tying materials. I understand it.

I remember when J Fair used to bring a bunch, Blue Ribbon had all kinds of stuff, guys would pass out small hook samples, no more.

I will continue to go to the shows, I enjoy the show for what it is. It may not be what it once was, but remember, the next show-- it's the best one we have!! So I go, pay the money and have a great time!

Bob

Thanks Fats, David, JD, Darian, Lee, and Bob. I'm looking & listening. Your input is appreciated.
    Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by k.hanley; 01-23-2009 at 08:59 AM.
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

I like seeing the large companies in place so that I can talk to folks about specifics about their lines... Sage was present... I think Scott was as well. It wasn't a really large selection. I'm pretty clear on the concept that you don't make large sales at a show like that. Smaller stuff and books tend to get picked up readily. I'm not going to buy a rod or a reel unless it is a screamin' good deal. I'd rather buy something like that from the local shop to help them stay in business. Smaller, gadget things that I can't find elsewhere are things that will come home with me. I guess in the days before the internet... that was a lot more likely. Now that is a lot harder to find.

I always like a place where I can find hooks or tying stuff that I have difficulty getting at typical shops. I don't want to see an entire display of something that every shop already has. Knowledge is good to find... the local experts found at destinations are good as well.

The one thing I didn't really like was the fractured nature of the displays... you'd be moving along and then you'd see some "marinade" vendor that got stuck in a slot... it didn't make a lot of sense but know I'm really nit-picking. These are just my opinions of course and they are worth exactly what they cost...
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!