Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Swap - Lake Flies For This Spring!

Quote Originally Posted by WT View Post
    I decided I would tie a terrestrial... just a beattle that has produced well for me on still waters... how does that sound?
    Will that be a Paul, Ringo, John, or George beatle?
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Yes I am one who has seen this thread and feel like I missed out, my loss.
    I am still tying. I just sent a box of flies to the Nortwest flytyers expo, March, Albany Oregon. Next I am going to send a box to the Idaho tyers expo, also March, but in Boise.

Makes me feel good to participate with other tyers to raise funds for the fishes.

I just dyed up a batch of marabou, from white to olive. I hit the color I was after, right on.

I had the stuff in the dye bath for 24 hours.

Be talking to ya.
    Bob Scheidt

It's definitely our loss that we missed you on this one Bob, as it would have been a real treat to have you on board. For those who don't know, Bob is an exhibition-level tyer. Sure hope we catch you on the next one.
    Last edited by Hairstacker; 01-16-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I would be sorely remiss if I didn't mention that one of our very own swap members, David Lee, will be tying at the International Sportsmans' Exhibition (ISE) in Sacramento this weekend! If you go, I know nothing would please David more than if you stopped by and say, "Hi!" I also know he would really enjoy the opportunity to answer any tying questions you may have. I know I've learned something new every time I've sat in front of him and watched him tie.
    -- Mike

Thanks for the plug , Mike !!!

The Tyers at the ISE Tyers row are ALL Black belts - most are 7th-degree Black belts ! Spend 10 minutes in front of ANYBODY there and you ARE going to learn something !!

I also agree 100% about Bob Scheidt - He's a hell of a tyer , and a great guy on top of that !! If Bob is at Kienes Expo .... DO NOT miss seeing him -

David

I'll second that advice about not missing the tiers at the expo. I went yesterday and spent most of my time in utter amazement.

And so I humbly submit my beginning fly tying efforts for the fly swap. It's a black Doc's Twin Lake Special:

Recipe:

Hook: TMC 5263 #8
    Thread: Black 6/0
    Weight: 12 wraps 0.25 lead free round wire
    Tail: Black marabou with 4 strands of black holographic Flashabou
    Body: Black chenille and red chenille for the throat
    Hackle: Black saddle hackle

Thanks for the kind words Stacker and David. You guys are top notch. I will be at Kiene's expo as long as they will have me.

2 new tying products you may already know about. Both from Hareline.

1. Grizzly krystal flash, it's barred and looks really good, comes in 3 colors.

A: black/red
    B: copper/blue
    C: silver/black

2: Metz magnum saddles, finally a saddle with big long feathers on it. For tying sizes 1,2,4, an 6.

Bob

jburge -- Very nice! Looks like it's intended for trout but I suspect if you bounce it down a rocky shoreline you'll probably pick up some smallies with it as well. Good show!

Bob -- Thanks for the heads-up on the new Hareline materials!
    -- Mike

Hairstacker, thanks. It's a start, and as a beginner having a chance to participate in the swap is going to be just the right amount of pressure to step up the game.

And yep, it's a trout bug. For those who haven't seen it before, it was developed by "Doc" Randol in the '80's for the lakes around Mammoth (one of my all time favorite spots). I think it'd be a blast to try it for some smallies too.

Here is my beatle... it's for trout crusin the banks... its also a good fly for rivers as well... HS pm me with your address and I will throw these in the mail.