Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Swap - Lake Flies For This Spring!

Default Fly Swap - Lake Flies For This Spring!

Well, here we are in the depths of winter wondering what’s going to happen to our fishies’ water, whether it’s okay to kill and eat hatchery steelhead, whether it’s a good thing trout hatchery stocking will be severely curtailed, whether to carry a gun while fishing, whether it’s safe and proper to eat raw stripers. . . . . Clearly perfect timing for another fly swap, eh?

Given the recent one-fly contest hosted by Scott V., I thought it might be interesting to all to see what folks are using for fishing lakes. After all, it won’t be long before spring lake fishing really takes off again for trout and smallmouth bass. Thus, let’s do a swap of flies for fishing lakes this spring!

For those who don’t know, a fly swap involves tying up a set of identical flies and sending them in. The swap host (me) will then sort the flies so that you get back one of each type of fly each person sent in, plus one of your own back. This is a great way to hone your skills tying your favorite flies, and it feels like Christmas when you get a package back in the mail. It also helps maintain your sanity when you can’t get on the water.

This swap will be limited to 12 people counting myself so everyone needs to tie 12 flies. Flies will need to be put in the mail by 18 February 2009. I will PM everyone who signs up with the mailing address for your flies. When you send in your flies, please include a self-addressed mailing envelope with sufficient postage. Finally, also please put a “toe tag” (little slip of paper) on each fly hook with your username and name of fly – that way everyone will know who to contact to seek additional details regarding the pattern.

I want to sincerely emphasize this is most definitely not just for veteran fly tyers – EVERYONE, especially those who have just started learning how to tie flies, is very strongly encouraged to participate. As long as it is intended for spring lake fishing, it can be as simple or as complicated a fly as you feel comfortable tying. Above all, this is meant to be fun!

If you want in, please sign up by replying to this thread and indicate, if you know, the fly type and/or fly name or just state “TBD” (To Be Determined). Sign up deadline is 18 January 2009:

1. Hairstacker – Jurassic Sculpin - Flies Completed
    2. David Lee - Dragonbugger - Flies Received
    3. WT - black foam beetles - Flies Received
    4. Terry Thomas - Modified Rickards Seal Bugger - Flies Received
    5. Flycanoe - size 8 black and olive Woolly Bugger - Flies Received
    6. Guppy - size 12 olive Woolly Bugger - Flies Received
    7. Scott V - Tasty Green - Flies Received
    8. Gene Goss - Suspended Damsel Fly Nymph - Flies Received
    9. jwholmesjr - Soft Hackle Sheep's Creek - Flies Received
    10. SHigSpeed - Copper Flash Leech - Flies Received
    11. WoolyBugger - Slumpbuster (John Barr version) - Flies Received
    12. jburge - black Doc's Twin Lake Special - Flies Received

THE SWAP HOST SORTED AND MAILED OUT ALL THE FLIES ON 2/27/09 -- YAAAAYYY!!
    Last edited by Hairstacker; 02-27-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Looks like I'm #2 -

I'll do a 6-wt. Craw (smaller than the 8-wt. Craw) , or a Dragonbugger .

Thanks for hosting Mike !!

David

This sounds like a bast count me in with a TBD.

I'm in. TBD
    T.

Great idea, count me in and will get back to you on the pattern.

I will be tying a size 12 olive wooly bugger

Count me in Mike, I have a new pattern I came up with that was successful today.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Wow, this is great -- less than a day and we're already half full! Can tell already this is going to be a great box of flies! Really appreciate everyone's interest and support!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I'm in......Suspended Damsel Fly Nymph

OK...I'm in...my buddy Gene shamed me into this...I will tie a soft hackle sheep's creek