Thread: What is this?

Default What is this?

It came from the American river, I believe it is a sucker or pike minnow type fish. It was caught by a friend.

So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

squaw fish AKA pike minnow

MN

I thought so, is it eadible. Do people eat it.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I never have, but I bet some people do.

I caught a 8 3/4 pounder in Lake Natomas quite a few years ago. I was like you; I had no idea what it was. I took it in to Wild Sports, where after they quit laughing, they admitted it was the biggest one they'd ever seen; quite a bit bigger than the one they have mounted and hanging on the wall.

I took it home, did a bad job of fileting it then baked it. The taste was mild and excellent, but the bones were pretty difficult to deal with. The one I caught was large enough to have cut into steaks, which is what I probably should have done. I would imagine it would be good smoked, too.

I'd sure give it a try again if I caught another that was big enough to eat. Most people I've encountered just chuck them into the bushes or worse, but they are a native species that is as much at home here as the Rainbows and Steelhead.

Jim

I've got a picture of an 11 pound Squaw fish posted in my Phot album/profile. Caught it in March 08 with Ryan Miller as guide on the American. Check it out!

I would kill everyone I caught - they play hell on the juvenile anadromous fish in the Eel. When I lived up in Humboldt TU and our club snorkelled the Eel counting juveniles and saw alot more squaw fish. Think DFG is looking for ways to eradicate them from the Eel system which is not an easy thing!

kill those dam things! no mercy. They are pretty hardy as a species so put a dent in their population.

They wreak havoc on downstream juvenile fish who get caught in the summer pool created for public enjoyment and water diversion every summer on the russian....

Havoc on the Feathers upper reaches....

Havoc on the stanislaus....upper sac.

Ive seen 20 pounders on a secret creek I go.....if the trout arnt biting I rig liver on a spinner and get murderous........