Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Simms Quality Control Issues

No:

I haven't noticed the trend in quality at all; I have lots of simms stuff, altho not the waders, and its all great.

What I have noticed is they spend alot of time fussing with new designs for products that are nearly perfect; and the result is sometimes less than the old design. Examples include:

-wierd color on jacket (orange - fish can see that, dude)
    -smaller pockets on mesh vest (hey - next time you redesign, see if a large flybox fits)
    -substituted 2-way stretch for what was 4-way stretch on pant fleeces (you think fly fisherman can't bend over?)
    - heels smaller than the forefoot on G3 wading boots (poor balance)

-but there are some winners as well - the new guideboot of last year being one - I really like the high-top and flexibility (compared to the G3's - anything's better); my only gripe is some exposed stitching but a layer of aquaseal prior to the first use solves that potential issue - the #1 boot IMO.
    -I like the jacket with that rubbery zipper thing. Is more watertight even though it doesn't look like it.

Default simms

i recently had the opportunity to deal with simms on a set of waders- took over 2 weeks and a few emails and 1 phone call to get an answer- told me my waders were worn out- no way unless they are not all they are hyped to be- they were the G3 model- they gave me a discount of about 30% on a new set so i took it , one of the gravel guard hooks is backwards now on the new ones- quality control again- i have never had this kind of poor customer service treatment from either orvis or cabelas- next time discount or not i will but from one of them

I'm kinda surprised that, after all the hoopla on the board about rods and reels that are made in the USA, it hasn't been mentioned that Simms waders are made in Montana while Orvis are made in China and Cabelas are made in China/Taiwan (according to their respective Customer Service departments).

Is origin unimportant in waders? Or are you willing to endure a little extra wait/inconvenience to help support industry in MT?
    "Someone just back of you while you are fishing is just as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you are writing a letter to your girl." - E. Hemingway

Default simms waders

point is we should not have to settle for 2nd best - that is the whole issue now with alot of american goods and why the overseas "junk" is taking over- decent quality, better price and way better customer service

Sure......
    "Someone just back of you while you are fishing is just as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you are writing a letter to your girl." - E. Hemingway

I am just glad that 1056 people have viewed this thread so far.

It will be 6 months in a few days after returning them for warranty repair.

I have had my shop calling simms for 6 days straight, 3x per day, about my waders....

SIMMS HAS YET TO RETURN THE CALL.

Customer DIService

I am on my 4th pair and they all leaked after a season or so. But to be fair, I have also used lesser brands and they did not fair any better. It is easy enough to fix the leaks that have developed so I never even bother to send them back these days. Simms are more comfortable and seem to fit better than most. I am currently using the bootfoot option kind and am quite pleased with them. My feet stay considerably warmer and are more comfortable. You gotta be a little more careful when rockhopping though. One thing about the bootfoot, I got a set of boot driers from cabela's cause after a day of fishing, the boots seem a little damp from perspiration. The driers work awesome and is is so nice to slip into a nice warm dry pair of waders.

I have owned multiple pairs of G3's and I do believe the quality has decreased over the last two years. First off they are still great waders; however, as others have noted the quality of the taping and integrity of the seems has decreased. Also the new and supposedly improved G3's lack the 5 layer protection in the seat that they previously had. I've also put more and larger cuts into the material of my latest pair. If this trend in production continues I will be buying stock in aquaseal as I'm going through copious amounts.
    MarcP

"buy stock in aquaseal" that is hilarious. I want to point out....if you put aquaseal on any seam, simms will void your warranty. Use ducttape for temporary repairs.

If you buy from LLBean they will replace your waders on the spot for any reason. Satisfaction issues alone will get you a new pair overnighted to the location you are fishing at, and it will be your obligation to get the old waders back so you dont get charged. Great plan. I used to work for REI and take it upon myself to be honest and eat it when the issue is my fault. But if its the fault of the manufacturer, they should be held accountable.

Sorry to knock it, but dont buy waders from a fly shop. Bad idea.

My problem is my giant feet only fit in custom pairs....cant do the LL Bean thing........

Default Simms

I ran into a 50% off deal at Moutain hardware and bought the ones below the guide model. I thought is was a steal at the time and am really curious now as to how they're gonna perform. I bet the factory is freaked! You burn a flyfisherman once, that's one thing. When these things leak a second time it will take years to come back.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.