Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Simms Quality Control Issues

Default Simms Quality Control Issues

I have really started to see Simms products level of quality just drop off a cliff.

The level of customer service has improved maybe since 2003 but has also been ho-hum, sometimes downright terrible.

I can spare the group my specific issues, but wondering if anyone has noticed the same trend.

I have a friend who fishes pretty hard and fishes fairly often. Hes had the same pair of light brown waders for 10 years now. No leaks, no product failure. But I guess making a product that good will put you out of business. Can I say DeLorean....

I cant go more than two months max before some piece of seam tape is delaminating from a seam.........numerous other pieces disintegrating for no apparent abuse reason. I know of two industry people who have had waders leak right out of the box......

Default Waders....

I haven't any experience with Simms products or their services but I've owned and worn out all other types of waders. Almost every one has failed at the seams over time.... I'm not sure what makes one pair of the same brand of waders outlast another, either. I figure I'll just keep patching until the patches won't hold the waders together any longer and then get another pair....

BTW, seems like I recall that DeLorean went out of business because he was caught smuggling dope in his vehicles.... I still see a couple of his autos on the road now and then, tho.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Seam leaks are a different issue. Ive seen brand new waders leak right out of the box(with fly shop employees!) but not experienced it myself.

Seam tape that covers the internal seams. Thats different. Seam tape separating from the seams within a month of purchase is ridiculous. Ive had it happen over and over now.

Furthermore, shoulder straps disintegrating withing two weeks of use....G4 Zipper welded seam delaminating within 3 months of use....wader belt holder separating from the velcro to attach it to the waders...and on and on....

These are unacceptable for $400 to $800 for these waders. Especially when you are told to pay for the repairs.

Delorean.....he was set up by the FBI. Undercovers sold him coke and convinced him he could make a bit of money that way. Since he was deeply in debt, he bit. They busted him. Some say the Big 3 set that up.....

Big 3, now begging for a handout, didnt feel they would have a secure business with good old fall-apart made in the USA crap competing against a car made out of Stainless Steel. Its too bad the windows didnt roll down or they would have had a winner....

Anyway........any of you experienced these types of issues with Simms waders or products?

...innocent of fraud and racketeering, acquitted on drug charges.

I'm not going to comment on Delorians... although the concept of "sweating" meant the cars would corrode from the inside out. What do I know!

This thread is about Simms. I had a roller lace come out of a set of the G3 boots last year on the upper sac. A rivet broke... no big deal. A fly shop that wont be named offered to take care of it for me as I stopped off on the drive home. I told them "Thanks, but no" and let the shop that I purchased them from take care of it. The wanted to send the boots back to be repaired... I told them that at 4 months of age on the second usage... they needed to be replaced. It took a conversation but... they replaced them for me. That's all I can really ask for. Issues happen, it is how the company takes care of the problem that buys customer loyalty.
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Default DeLorean

Interesting that we declare a guy who purchased drugs from people he thought were distributors, attempted to smuggle them into the U.S. inside his product for sale to our citizens/kids as innocent due to entrapment provisions in our law.... Fact Maybe.... Personally, after reading the account of DeLorean, I have no sympathy for the man. He made the choice regardless of who set him up.

Interestingly enough, he was a former exec in the auto industry. I guess it just wasn't enough to be wealthy....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Interesting that we declare a guy who purchased drugs from people he thought were distributors, attempted to smuggle them into the U.S. inside his product for sale to our citizens/kids as innocent due to entrapment provisions in our law.... Fact Maybe.... Personally, after reading the account of DeLorean, I have no sympathy for the man. He made the choice regardless of who set him up.

Interestingly enough, he was a former exec in the auto industry. I guess it just wasn't enough to be wealthy....
    Delorean's drug issues have nothing to do with the principle of creating a good lasting product, which is what wjorg was commenting on.
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

I have been fishing Simms waders for the last @20 years. In fact, I still have the first generation Gortex set that I purchased way "back in the day." You know, those waders still don't leak, however, they did shrink a bit around the middle. I can't blame that on Simms. As far as quality control, I still see the same care as I have throughout the years. Ordered up a pair of the bootfoots last Spring and would say they are the best waders that I have worn. I would give one warning, don't leave a protein bar in the pocket and hang them in the garage! I now will be checking into the repair department to see what it takes to have a pocket repaired...I've been "verminated!"
    Terry

Default Unfortunately, I totally agree, Walt!!!

Vigorously re-entering flyfishing in California in 1993 after I had sacrificed my favorite hobby growing up in WV for a career, I bought in to the Simms philosophy. I had 10 pairs of waders in 10 years, and as the price escalated each year, I realized this was a marginal product!
    I switched to Cabelas Guide series, worked two pairs of them hard over the last SIX years and have no regrets... One of my guide friends convinced me to try Simms again, insisting they truly are the "best"... I have them, they are leakproof for 6 months and I really and truly want to be convinced that an "American made" product really can deliver!
    My fear is that American entrepreneurialism truly is at the "heart" of planned obsolesence and recent experiences confirm this.
    In summary, let me ask...would you rather pay $600.00 for a pair of waders that last one to two years or $219.00 for a pair of waders that last 3 years? It really doesn't take a mathematical genius to figure this one out.
    Simms, our proud American product, live up to the HYPE! As the economy fails, realize inferior products are to blame. Lose the "get rich quick" mentality and produce a reliable dependable product...the riches will emerge if you have not irreparably damaged your reputation.

Signed,

Someone who can afford any quality product and is intelligent enough to dismiss "hype" campaigns and inferior products...
    Last edited by Don Powell; 01-07-2009 at 09:32 PM.

I was one of those people that had the old guide model which leaked right out of the box the first day. I was fishing the next day so I aqua sealed the leg that leaked and it fixed the problem except the next day the other leg leaked. I never took those waders back and still have them as a third string backup and every seam has aquaseal on them. I vowed not to buy another pair and broke that vow when Simms introduced the G3. They leaked within 6 months but I did return those and they first offered to send back and fix but after some talk agreed to send the flyshop a new pair and they gave me some off the rack. It's been 1 year (100 days on the water) and these, knock on wood, are still going. Don't know if this has anything to do with quality issues (but I think it does) I heard Simms pays thier employees by the garment.