Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monic running line

Default Monic running line

Does Monic Running line cut through the water well when you are shooting out a cast? The .024 rio powerflex core had a bit of resistance....

wjorg,

I am not quite sure what you mean by cut thru the water as monic is a floating running line. Sometimes you will get a bit of line that goes subsurface due to currents and such, and in that case it does come out of the water very quickky when shooting line. I have been fishing both .024 and .030 monics for over a year now and I feel they are the best running lines on the market for spey use. These line are virtually tangle free and float extremely well. I tend to favor the .024 for personal use but tend to use .030 for guiding and client use. .030 is easier to handle in colder weather.
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Monic running line being a floater explains it.

Im a single hand rod, shooting head from bank or boat kinda guy right now.

Not going to cast a spey rod from a pram......and a floating anything will cause wakes that may get things thrown at me from other boats.

I was told to use sufix elite, but I also know a pretty damn good caster(130 ft) who has used sufix elite in tournament casting and says he hates it..........

Any thoughts/suggestions?

go to wal mart and get some iron silk it is nice and supple so it won't coil up to bad in cold weather. it is a cheap alternative to the expensive "running lines". george is right i don't understand the hype about suffix, it must be the way it is "precision wound" on the spool. I've cast a 300 grain shooting head over 160 feet with iron silk; its just as good as anything.
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Hi Carl,

No I am not the SA rep. Jason Lozano is the SA rep. I dont have any affiliation with a line company and just try to fish lines that match up well with the various rods I fish. That being said, I am a big fan of the monic running lines as they are easy to handle ad shoot well.
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Revel View Post
    go to wal mart and get some iron silk it is nice and supple so it won't coil up to bad in cold weather. it is a cheap alternative to the expensive "running lines". george is right i don't understand the hype about suffix, it must be the way it is "precision wound" on the spool. I've cast a 300 grain shooting head over 160 feet with iron silk; its just as good as anything.

I was interested in Iron Silk, since i'm always looking for a better shooting line. Did a quick search on the stuff. Looks like it's more expensive than Suffix Elite, and has gotten some bad reviews on break strength......not that that matters if you're using a lighter leader than running line. Some reviews(conventional fishermen)do say it casts well, with low memory. FWIW, i've used Suffix. It casts really well for me, but i'm not anywhere near the casters you and your brother are. It doesn't have the memory of some of the other shooting lines, and it's very slick. It's also cheap. $10 for 330 yards. The one thing I don't like about Suffix, it's tough to hold on to(relative to RIO & SA's shooting lines), because of the small diameter, and slickness.

Just my 2 cents

briansII

I dont think Berkeley makes Iron Silk anymore. They probably changed the name to the Trilene Sensation....

Hard to hold onto? Nice, that will keep me from early hooksets....

yeah wjorg i think its been renamed trilene sensation, but i'm not positive. i'll have to get some and check it out.

Brian,
    What pound suffix are you using?
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Revel View Post
    yeah wjorg i think its been renamed trilene sensation, but i'm not positive. i'll have to get some and check it out.

Brian,
    What pound suffix are you using?

30lb. It's hard for _me_ to hold on to, because i'm used to thicker running lines. With more time on the water, I think I can get used to it. Also forgot to mention, Suffix has very little stretch. When I give it a light stretch before fishing, it feels like there is almost zero stretch in the line.

briansII

Quote Originally Posted by briansII View Post
    30lb. It's hard for _me_ to hold on to, because i'm used to thicker running lines. With more time on the water, I think I can get used to it. Also forgot to mention, Suffix has very little stretch. When I give it a light stretch before fishing, it feels like there is almost zero stretch in the line.

briansII

I take that back. I have a spool at my desk. I just pulled some off and gave it a hard tug. It does stretch some, but nothing like Amnesia. It doesn't require anything more than a light stretch, Very little memory.

briansII