Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Howe Avenue Theft 12/30/08

Gentleman,
    I am the individual who asked the question about the legality of carrying a gun with me while drifting the American. Thank you, Tfisher, for the information about guns in the American River Parkway.

Several interesting views have been posted since I last checked this forum on Jan. 11th and posted my question. Every one is certainly entitled to their opinion.

I carry a gun with me in my drift boat fairly often. I fish solo most of the time and nearly always fish till last light. When I reach the takeout, the gravel bar is usually deserted with other fishermen long-since gone.

Anyone who fishes the North Coast rivers or the Trinity knows that these areas can attract some people who many of us would be leary of. I do not carry a gun to protect myself from any fishermen, but from the type of people I have seen many times hanging around a river access point late in the day that make me feel uneasy or unsafe.

When I do take some one along on a fishing trip, it is generally my wife. I have to beleive there are many people who view this forum who, if they were last boat out on a remote gravel bar, at dusk with their wife, might feel safer with a loaded .357. I sure as heck do.

When I asked my question, I already knew that California law allows me to carry a loaded gun in my boat, just as any of us can have a loaded gun in our campground. If you're so inclined, check out CA Penal Code Section 12025. You can find it online easily.My question was specific to the American River, because it is in a populated area.

I am 54 years old, never had any legal problems, married for 34 years (to the same girl), am a father and a grandfather. I hope I never have to use a gun in self defense, but would do so if needed. I have never waved my gun at any one or taken it out of its range bag in my boat. And I sure as heck don't wear an Orvis jacket, you can count on that!

Leaving in the morning, with my wife, my driftboat and my Smith & Wesson to fish the Umpqua for 4-5 days and then head to the Oregon Coast for a week or so. I'll do my best not to shoot anybody while I'm gone! Pat Manly

Hey Pat, hope you and the wife have a great trip. Maybe these storms will turn up, and there'll be a good push of Steelhead for you. Give us a report when you get back.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.