Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Howe Avenue Theft 12/30/08

It really is a problem...I got cleaned out up in Oregon when I took off on a Mt biking trip around one of the lakes off the Cascade HW. I'm sure we were being watched as we took off for the ride - when we got back four hrs later they'd cleaned out my 4-runner. All my camping gear, fly rods, tackle, wallet - hell they even took my prescription eye glasses.

I just picked up a new Expedition the other day and can't help but think about theft now - it's a shame you're so vulnerable at these boat ramps - once you're gone you're fair game.

I like the "imprint Louisville Slugger backwards on someone’s forehead" idea - I'll be happy to donate the bats...
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Default Theft

It's happenned to me, and probably everyone who reads this board has had it happen to them or know someone who had their car ripped off.
    My new plan is to never leave anything valuable in the truck, especially wallets, credit cards, keys, etc.
    I also do not lock the truck, because they will break the windows!
    The problem will be if you are on an extended trip and have valuable equipment in the vehicle.
    As most of you know, the main pathology is methamphetamine. The meth addict will steal anything to sell for his drugs. They usually work in pairs or small groups, and avoid confrontation. And they are everywhere!
    Maybe some smart designer/tinkerer fisherman on this board can come up with a way of locking up fishing gear, rods, etc. Does something already exist?
    I would caution using vigilante violence against this problem, they are often armed.
    I live on the Trinity River and flyfish, catch and release, almost everyday if I can.

well:

Just about all I can add to this discussion is to leave nothing in your vehicle - truck or car - anywhere, including the trunk; as mine was broken into a few years ago and cleaned out; and other than being parked along a river - there was no visible indication of valuables (other than perhaps I was being watched). It wasn't on the American either. I've heard of these crimes everywhere - lower Sac, upper Sac, American, Feather, Yuba, Pitt, McCloud.
    Nothing is "safe"

Maybe one other thing; police/sheriff response in my case was as lukewarm to my loss (~$1,000+) as they were disorganized to yours - actually none at all - I felt they were trying to get me not to file a report so as to reduce their reported crime rate.
    Never got a thing back. And I'm gonna disagree with the story they fed you on "turf war" or whatever the line was; gimme a break - like they don't get these calls on a weekly basis? They just didn't care, or don't have the resources to care.

Although more patrol and prevention would be better, I am 100% certain that the authorities (police/sheriff) do not follow up at all; it's not that they don't care - it's more that the little resources they have are spent on serious crimes in progress (murder, rape, gun injuries) and not much on anything else. They may increase visibility for a few days after a crime spree, but it pretty much returns to normal after that.

thats a great idea wjorg!! instate sharia law, but i think i prefer the bat method.
    I'm thinking about building a small safe to bolt down to my truck bed just big enough to fit my new spey rod when broken down.
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Or here's the San Francisco Mission Street trick. Years ago when I took the bus there were big scary guys that would beat the living crap out of someone let alone take their money/possessions. Ive seen innocent peoples faces smashed in for nothing. I was taught a "delayed self defense."
    I never did it but here's the trick. Those guys smoked weed. So you carried around a little baggie with some weed laced with something fatal. You get jacked, they get whacked.

Who knows a chemist that can make a bunch of white powder that will kill when snorted or smoked?

Leave the little baggies laying around the rig when you leave and theyll stop at the drugs......no need to steal your stuff.......

By the way, I usually am a caring human being.....

If we legalized drugs already these folks would have a supervised place to get(cheaply) and do these drugs until they took their genes out of the human breeding pool......

Phil S posted a message on this after my post on being broken into. So Phil will more likely post also. I have contacted a couple Chamber of Commerce offices in the area, at first they were wondering why I called them. After explaining that some fishermen won't go to certain rivers becase of the breakins. The American being one of them, and a group of businesses had a stronger voice, she understood.

This month is when most chambers induct new board and officers. So now is the time to start calling and asking them to help by contacting the Law enforcment rep and County Supervisor who usually attend the lunches. Senator Dave Cox and Assemblyman Roger Neilo usually have representatives there also.

Now is the time to call and where we really need to bring pressure is from out of town members.

Still the baseball bat therapy sounds good, the problem is now a days protecting ones property isn't a priority is this political atmosphere.
    Last edited by 590Mike; 01-06-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typos
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

[QUOTE=Carl BlackIedge;54228]Hey gang,

I have another 2 cents to throw into the pot. Have you seen those portable Mexican taco wagons that sell Mexican food? Well convert a few of those into Donut trucks and park them at the popular parking places along the River. Problem solved. Then we would have more Cops parked there then fisherman!

Carl donut shops are so 1980's. Now they all hang out at starbucks. I was at one the other day in Sequim and I think the whole police force was there along with a couple of state troopers.

Who are the people to call(Local, regional officials) and say I wont fish, or go eat in restaurants or stay in hotels, and will say bad things about their town to everyone I know until they hang theives from the public square?
    Last edited by wjorg; 01-06-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Default American Justice

"Now after all this humorous stuff being said... they have 10 cars and 30 cops stage a sting operation on a few old toothless wrinkled ass hookers, who after being caught and spend 4 hours in jail or back out doing the same thing again! Maybe we do need to take the law into our own hands for a weekend? The best way to keep a crook out of the back yard is to hang one in the front yard. American Justice."

I LIKE YOUR STYLE CARL!

After 6 hours of fishing... I went 'hunting' in the vicinity of Sarah Ct. again... no bad guys around except myself.
    MARK

Wjorg, I think Mike's suggestion about the chamber of commerce(s), is a good place to start, for locals and maybe even more so for those who choose to drive an hour or two to come here to fish. With the economy the way it is, a collective of business people seeing more money going away because of specific crime can put pressure on law enforcement.

Unfortunately as Bill said, this has been a problem for decades. We will never rid ourselves of crime, but I think this problem can be minimized. The county Park Rangers and the Sheriffs Department have separate and joint sting operations to try and address the issue, but there is a lot of parkway, and too few of them.

If anyone is interested, you can get in touch with the supervisor for the Park Rangers. His name is John Havicon, email is haviconj@saccounty.net, he can put you on the list to get updates of problem areas etc.

Good luck, good fishing, and be safe.
    Last edited by Phil Synhorst; 01-06-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: more info
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.