Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peripheral Canal

Angry Peripheral Canal

The news on the radio today stated Gov. Arnold wants the Peripheral Canal built around
    The Delta by 2011. They stated that THEY do not even need to put it on the Ballot..

Thumbs down Peripheral Canal....

Yep,.... The governator has floated that idea for some time. Of course, he's been off on more than one pronouncement.

Aside from the fact that the voting public (the best poll of all) already voted it down, there's the small problem of funding for this project. If it's to be done by selling bonds, bond issues affecting the General Fund do have to go on the ballot. The public shouldn't be approving any further bond issuances as we're spending close to 50% of annual revenues on service of bonded indebtedness, now. We can't keep borrowing for ever.... Or can we.... If the guv continues to advocate issuing bonds for everything, maybe the state will have to declare Bankruptcy and the Feds'll have to bail us out....

This state now has one of the lowest credit ratings in the country. That translates into high/higher interest rates. All because the state administration and legislature are dysfunctional. Maybe he can convince Westlands or Kern County Water agencies to pay for it....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default NGO's

Tristan.... What is (are) "NGO's" ??? Is all of this linked to oregons water wars...?? It does all

travel Downstream........???

Question Another Deal....

And I started off this AM thinking I couldn't possibly hear any worse news.... It almost sounds like the NGO's have given up on the effort to maintain the Delta as they don't feel there's any real chance to prevail.

I AM depressed....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

My only real hope on both the Klamath & Delta Canal issues is that no matter what the politco's want, is that both of these will require voter approval of the bond(s) that will finance both of these idiotic ideas. I sure hope that the voters will choke when they see the price tag of the bonds! Otherwise we're screwed!!!

Default PCanal

I still wish they would look at compulsory nuclear powered de-sal. Imagine when they prove that the vaccuming of endangered species at the pumps is the exclusive detrimental factor to the species. At that point, they can leave that canal on 24-7 and not have to worry about vaccuming smelt or any other "pumping restrictions". What will they do with the Tracy, South Bay, and Banks plants? Will they shut them because they have a new canal? Does anyone know if this is in the plan?

I think Moyle and his fellows endorsed the PC on the concept that water managers would play fairly. Politics is not their place.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

Well if Rough & Tumble is correct, the Nature Conservancy came out endorsing the peripheral canal today. Sad news for the endangered delta . . .

Well, what should we do about this?

Question Periheral Canal....

There's an article in the SacBee, today, that says the Nature Conservancy has given formal, conditional approval to construction of a peripheral canal (....the first of any environmental group). The only condition is that it must work in favor of the Delta environment. Whatever that means....

Seems like Tristan is right on. Environmental groups are lining up in favor of the Governor's package....

Author unknown

Who do we contact at the Nature Conservancy about that?