Thread: Favorite two handed running lines?

Default Favorite two handed running lines?

SA/Mastery, Rio, Airflo, Cortland, Orvis and Monic all make running/shooting lines.

They are all about 100 feet long sections of level fly line, usually on a braided core.

They come in floating and intermediate sink but most two handers are using the floating versions.

Some have no loops, some have a welded loop on one end and some have a welded loop on both ends.

They also come in different colors so you can tell what diameter they are.

It is easy to tell where you are as you retrieve your line if you running line is a different color than your head.

They come in several diameters from about .024" to .035". Around .030" seems to be the most popular. some use smaller stuff on light two handed rods and larger on big winter rods.

Some are using monofilament shooting lines which give them more distance and it does cut through the water differently than the fly line running lines.

I don't promote mono shooting line to new comers to two handed casting.

Do you have any personal preferences?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I am still a fan of slick shooter though the smaller diameter stuff tangles and once kinked is tough to stretch back so if using that I would recommend the thicker stuff. You do need to stretch it first but once stretched, it works well

I have also used the RIO and Monic and like them both but don't consider them much more tangle free compared to slick shooter especially when shooting long distances. I like the smaller diameter stuff for my switches and the Anderson 12' 4wt and the thicker stuff for the heavier rods. Either is nice on the 6126.

I like the Monic running lines.

I have been using the .024 on my lightweight outfits here in the Valley.

The Monics do not stretch. I think this is a benefit when using soft/lighter rods because you get better hooksets.

I actually think I am "feeling" more stuff happening out there on my fly using the non stretch Monic? More plucks/taps/"breathing" on my fly.

I am still not hooking these fish and they could just be trout or pikeminnows, but I'll take the action!

I have not had any problems with this line tangling. Matt.

Default monic

monic is the bomb!

Default Rio Slick Shooter

Like Rick J, I love this line...
    It comes in 115' spools, costs $9.95, is available in 35# for up to 550 gr heads and 50# for >600 gr heads, and launches Skagit type heads into water you haven't fished before...
    It is oval and small diameter so is a little tough to grip in "brrr cold" conditions...

Monic comes in three diameters- 0.024, 0.030 and 0.38 to fit all different size Skagit heads...

Airflo Miracle Braid comes in 120' spools and 35# test and is thin in diameter- I haven't tried it yet...

SA Dragon Tail is 0.038 for most of the running length with 15' at the business end tapering up to 0.076...I tried this with an Airflo Compact Skagit head today at Watt Ave and liked the fact that I could increase the effective mass and length with a slightly lesser grain weight and length head and cast it a respectable distance by increasing the overhang...

Too many running lines and heads...too little time!

Don

Guideline LRL DC Non Stretch/ Airflo Ridge for coated running lines. Both are very similar and probably made by the same manufacturer.
    Varivas Airs and Guideline GL shooter which are hollow core mono.

Default I have less operator error with the Ridge Shooting lines

I have less operator error with the Ridge Shooting lines. The Ridge Shooting lines seem to be impacted by less by high or low temps.

This summer I got to test a couple of SA Sharkskin running lines and they work really well.
    They shoot out so fast that I was overpowering my overhead/underhand casts with my Switch Rods. I had to slow down and stop my rods at a higher point to prevent the line from over running my weak casting loops.

Some people were concerned that the Ridge lines would catch and hold too much dirt and crud in the water. They actually seem to repel the crud we have in our rivers better.

After fishing with the Ridge lines,I rinse the lines off with tap water and then add a little Dawn Liquid Dish Soap and rinse that off. That is it maintenance wise.