Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russian River Steelhead

If you want to eat a fish, go ahead and take a hatchery. Isn't that what they are for?
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

My personal rule is that if it's a hatchery fish and you want to eat it, go right ahead with it and don't apologize for doing so. If it's a wild fish (regardless if it's legal to kill), you should always release the fish.

Talking russian river steelhead

here it goes...now the latest fashion statement "keep the hatchery steelhead". Everyone against the stocks!. Just a few weeks ago it was all about catch and release. I can't believe how much sheep are around!. Watch out we are going to be mixed up with the meat lovers/bait dunkers/hardware slingers!.

So almighty Pez educate us... what should we do?
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

way to go Carl! lol

Anyone want to make wager on how long this thread will play out? I am going to do my best to hold my tongue...er...my fingers...

Let the games begin!

J

Jbird does it make a difference if it's caught with an indicator or the swing?
    Ok I'm done with this thread too

Wink

Aaron

Nope...I'll kill em all! In fact, I set the hook so hard I snap their necks. They come in a little easier that way. Im actually trying to develope a fly that has a straight razor, to slash their gills on the hookset too. I only target hatchery fish tho of coarse!

Jay

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!!

Default russian river

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Revel View Post
    So almighty Pez educate us... what should we do?
    What ever happened to "a fish is to valuable to be caught only once". Every year there are fewer fish than the year before so it's up to us to do a little math...the more we keep the less will have. Having said that I don't have any problem if someone is keeping one here and there. The Russian, American, and Feather have a lot of pressure due to the number of anglers fishing those waters so I think we should practice moderation if we don't waters to be depleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pez View Post
    What ever happened to "a fish is to valuable to be caught only once". Every year there are fewer fish than the year before so it's up to us to do a little math...the more we keep the less will have. Having said that I don't have any problem if someone is keeping one here and there. The Russian, American, and Feather have a lot of pressure due to the number of anglers fishing those waters so I think we should practice moderation if we don't waters to be depleted.
    The hatchery only spawns about 300 fish a year to get its egg quota. On years where there is high water There may be over 10000 fish that return to the hatcheries that don't get caught by anglers and that aren't need to meet the egg quota. There have been several studies that show hatchery fish that naturally spawn (with other hatchery fish or wild fish) don't produce viable offspring. I say kill all hatchery fish you catch

Quote Originally Posted by shawn kempkes View Post
    The hatchery only spawns about 300 fish a year to get its egg quota. On years where there is high water There may be over 10000 fish that return to the hatcheries that don't get caught by anglers and that aren't need to meet the egg quota. There have been several studies that show hatchery fish that naturally spawn (with other hatchery fish or wild fish) don't produce viable offspring. I say kill all hatchery fish you catch
    If the hatchery steelies don't have viable offspring, why should we worry? Either they'll die of old age or end up in somebody stomach. The worst thing they might do then is give us a serious rod bend!! Which is good!. God save the stockers!!!!