Thread: 10wt on a 6wt??? It worked!

Default 10wt on a 6wt??? It worked!

Just a line report:
    I didn't have a chance to get a skagit line for a TFO 11' 6wt switcher, so I thought what do I have that might work. So after a little research, I found that my 10/11/12 WC has a body that is ~23 ft and weighs in at 378 grs. (Hey! That's a skagit short!) So I tried it with some tips and a leech pattern. It worked pretty well with about 12 ft of T-8 but really well with the WC 6/7/8 wt tips. Long story short, I may end up chopping the running line off of it to make it a head than can be looped it to my regular running line.

I think I'd still like to try a 400-450 27ft skagit head on the rod for comparison.

See ya,
    Mike

Default 11 wt on a 6 wt!

Hi Mike,

That Windcutter is only an 11 wt with Tip 2 and Tip 1 attached as I'm sure you know. I did cut the body off an old WC 10/11/12 last year. Mine was 22' and 360 gr. It works beautifully on my Meiser 10' 6" 6 wt switch rod with 10-15' of T-8 similar to what you discovered. When you used the 6/7/8 tips, did you cut 'em back or leave them at 15'?

I tried a Rio Skagit 450 on my switch and it felt a tad too heavy but was ok with 10' of T-10. A half pounder under the Watt Ave bridge liked that set-up!

Looking forward to your report how the 400 and 450 cast on your TFO switch...

Don

I was using the type 3 and 6 straight from the wallet. The 23' head +15 ft =38 ft (3.5x the rod) seemed to work well. I've head success throwing the 38ft 6/7 on it. I would like to try the setup with some shorter (10') T-8 or T-11 heads. One thing that I noticed was that I really had to generate some speed/power while throwing the D and the forward stroke to get the setup to go anywhere. Maybe I'm used to throwing the AFS that just launches???
    See ya, Mike

the WC bodies were really the first skagit lines except for bastard lines folks were making on their own. Scott O and Mike M turned me on to them first and Bill started carrying them. They work really well - I use the 10/11/12 on an Anderson 12' 4wt and it flies. The 11/12/13 is just under 500 grs and is a great skagit line in the 500 grain class and will throw T14 pretty easily.

I recently converted three old Fisher single handers to switch rods and the heaviest one (a 8/9wt 10.5' - now 11' with a butt extension) really likes the 10/11/12 with a multitude of tips