Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pyramid

Mar,
    No bobbers yet for me,but I was tempted a week ago in calmer seas and plenty of fish around.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Littletruckee View Post
    Darian ,
    Thanks for the info.I agree that float tubing and pontooning can be a dangerous proposition at Pyramid.The winds can be ferocious and come up in a hurry.Big waves make add another element to it.Also,Pyramid is 30 miles long and 10 miles wide(not 11 miles long and 8 miles wide)

Shig,
    I would recommend against anchoring a pontoon in a big wind/wave event.If you get thrown from your boat hypothermia and or drowning is a real possibility.Pyramid is a lake that demands the utmost respect.Show her that respect and she will reward you in generous ways!

Dave,
    Permits can also be obtained online from the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe at www.plpt.nsn.us

Pyramid is a special place!

Jay
    Fear not, I get green (WAY green) seasick in waters that ocean fishermen call "glass" so I have a physical interlock to big wave events!

Thanks for the warning!

_SHig

Talked to a guy at the shop today who said last spring (April/May) the fish came into a foot of water at Pyramid Lake and he was catching them with smaller nymphs sight casting like he was chasing Bonefish on the flats.

Has anyone else seen this?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I also saw this Bill.It was unbelievable!The fish were within a few feet of the bank and it looked like a salmon migration.The fish were thick and came by in this school for 4-5 hours straight!Awesome.Unfortunately alot of fish were being snagged by larger flies.To avoid snagging I slow stripped a midge through the school and had numerous hookups!

Jay

Question Indicator Fishing

Bill,.... Fishing with an indicator has been going on at Pyramid for some time now. Especially in the north/south nets areas (....or any area where flats are located). In the main, it's done in the spring as Lahonton Cutthroat are spring spawners and they tend to congregate near the nets before ascending the channel to the hatchery.

Fisherman plant their ladder/stands in the water, cast blindly or locate a passing school of fish and cast to them with either spinning or fly gear. one type of rig involves using an indicator over a small nymph such as a Chartreuse Copper John. The line is cast and allowed to sit until a passing trout takes it under. This type of fishing at Pyramid is not really to my liking. I fish bait under a bobber at places like red Lake when I'm on a day trip with my retired Ol' Fart, non-fly fishing buddies. That's enough for me.

I prefer to cast, using a two fly rig involving a Beatle/Wooley Bugger, Chub/Wooley Bugger or Nymph/ Wooly Bugger combo. Used to cast a shooting head/mono running line but have switched to an heavy, integrated head line now. I find it easier to control the line handling when it gets cold up there and sacrifices little distance.

It's not unusual to see fish roaming around in the shallows behind the ladders/stands. I guess you could fish on the backcast up there, also....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown