Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gualala..Garcia..Navaro...BETA Wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Powell View Post
    I LIKE the tenor of this thread...educational for anyone who reads it! Our ever increasing population in the world and California, because it IS such a desirable place to live, and our ever diminishing populations of fish that thrive in pristine geographic areas that are threatened by overpopulation cause us all to be somewhat secretive in order to preserve that which represents an ever rarer experience, capturing an ever more rare fish in a wild and beautiful setting. Thank goodness the weather conditions change so quickly during the winter season, it is tough to "hit it right" on the coastal rivers unless you are retired/ unemployed and live on the banks of these streams. But, if in your lifetime, you hit it right on one of these rivers, then and only then, will you know and appreciate what steelheading is all about...
    Get the Streamtime maps, earn the respect of the "local" steelheaders, watch the weather conditions and GO FOR IT! There will be disappointments, but they will be forgotten on that day when you "hit it right"!

Disclaimer: I don't consider the "bobber boys" on the Trinity steelheaders...
    very well said!!
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Disclaimer: I don't consider the "bobber boys" on the Trinity steelheaders...
    Be careful what you say Don...woulnd't want anyone subjected to what I got a while back

Default The Message

Thanks, Dustin and Aaron...

Perhaps a little clarification is necessary.

In my matriculation/learning west coast steelhead, I too, did the indi/bobber thing... it taught me where the fish were and was immensely gratifying as far as numbers would count at the end of the day. The technique is deadly if you master it. Why would the technique have been outlawed on the North Umpqua?
    However, I consider steelhead a very special and precious entity. They deserve a sporting chance and I would like to think that as I have matured and grown to appreciate them, I choose to fish for them in a sporting manner. Indi/bobber fishing is a great introduction to the sport but I would hope most who choose to pursue them with religious fervor do so in a sporting manner. Once you have experienced the thrill, move on to the next level- catch 'em on the swing!

Offending anyone isn't my goal, but challenging them is...

Treat the North Coast rivers with the respect they deserve...

Excuse the instant gut reaction of my second post. Being compared to the crap that came to light on the Trinity last year shouldn't be taken lightly. For those who took my initial post with a grain of salt and offered quick and easy advice, that's all that I was looking for and I'm thankful. I'm also appreciative of those who have sent pm's. Definately looking forward to fishing the undisclosed/unamed rivers in the future............I mean SHhhhh.

TG

I bought my first shooting running line and shooting head setup yesterday. I am very fortunate to have had some kind fisherman, Don included, share their passion with me. I am thankful there are fisherman that are around who do so. Thank you Don for articulating what I didn't so effectively, or at all in my public post.

If you read the section on Bill and Ted on riversofalostcoast.com I think it illustrates Dons point on secrecy as well.

Default You gotta be kidding!

I am frequently amazed by the whining and moaning of those who want to "guard their private, secret waters," and yet spend the entire year on the internet talking about fishing and locations. This site, and all of you who post, are precisely the source of the invasion of waters (like the Trinity) that "we" have experienced over the past few years. And a special nod of appreciation to the "true steelheaders" who would never float an indicator. My, what high opinions you hold of yourselves. OK, made my point, flame away...

no one caused the invasion of the Trinity. 60,000 fish ruined the trinity.
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Buying 4 license from now on via Clarkston, WA

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post
    I am frequently amazed by the whining and moaning of those who want to "guard their private, secret waters," and yet spend the entire year on the internet talking about fishing and locations. This site, and all of you who post, are precisely the source of the invasion of waters (like the Trinity) that "we" have experienced over the past few years. And a special nod of appreciation to the "true steelheaders" who would never float an indicator. My, what high opinions you hold of yourselves. OK, made my point, flame away...
    I am assuming that you were literally born into the water you fish and no one has EVER shown you a piece of water that you have not found yourself. R-IGHT!!!!

Gotta go with Don and Wjorg on this one. Both of you have said it correctly. And I personally thank all those who have shown me some of the CA ropes

I am out on this discussion as the above quoted post are just fuel to everyone's fire, and the slow season thus far has many people on the internet and hackle's rising!

out
    Not unless round's funny!?!

Default Gualala, Navarro, Garcia, Pescadero, Scott, San Lorenzo

C'mon guys, give me a break. Any "half baked" steelhead chaser knows those streams. It's not that we are talking about a hidden lake up in the sierras which needs to be hiked in or anything like that. These streams are in every fishing map or any California fishing book. Again they are not fished massively because "the opportunity window is small" due to their rain dependance and also because they are a little bit out the way. Instead, people like to travel to more consistent waters, like Trinity, Klamath and so on.
    Don't worry guys the secret was already out!!. To the locals, don't worry either nobody is going to steel "your fish". On the contrary, some of those visitors may help the local economy.
    Funny thing I always thought these fishing sites were to share and not to hide. Having said that, sure you don't have to disclose your "honey holes", were you and only you catches those 20#......like if you ever!.

This last weekend I drove up to a friends place near Weithpec so I got to drive along the Trinity for a good hour or so. And to my suprise there were very few people out fishing, on both Friday and Sunday when I drove past around 10 in the morning I saw about a dozen cars parked on the side and only 2 drift boats the whole time. Why are people so worried about the invasion on the Trinity, I do not see it and this is on a holiday weekend.

And by the way I guess I am not a true steelheader because I like to float an indicator as well as swinging flies. Oh well I could really care less.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>