Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gualala..Garcia..Navaro...BETA Wanted?

Default Gualala..Garcia..Navaro...BETA Wanted?

Hey All,
    I've got three weeks off for holiday break coming up in mid december and I'm looking to go and check out the Gualala, Garcia, and Navaro Rivers. I understand that the steelhead runs typically happen in Jan/Feb on into March so this trip will be more of a recon trip to get my bearings. I'm looking for any information regarding people to chat with, river access, camping, and info on the runs themselves. I'm wanting to check out something new. Any information would be greatly appreciated. If anybody is looking to drift the American/Feather/Yuba during the holidays...drop me a pm. I have a Willies Drift Boat set-up to fly fish and I'm looking to learn more about those rivers and the drifts they have to offer.

TG

...and I thought they were moving down from Montana to just fish the Trinity.....

wjorg.....
    Moving down from Montana? I've spent the last 30 years living on the west slope of the Sierra's right up HW 50. That's weird....because I'm only 30 years old. I've fished the trinity, smith, klamath, chetco, redwood ck and have spent weeks on the Mad hiking miles up logging roads to find fish (and seclusion for that matter). I'm looking to expand my horizons and branch out from the normal steelhead rivers/creeks. I'm not looking for secret steelhead spots on these rivers.....just simple information that will point me in the right direction. Not back to Montana! Haven't lived there and most likely never will.

Again,
    I have three weeks off (bonus to being a teacher....in California.....on the west slope) and I'm looking forward to exploring the aforementioned rivers on the original thread. Any information (that doesn't require a secret hand shake) would be greatly appreciated. Offer is still open to anybody (even wjorg) wanting to drift any valley rivers during the holidays.

TG

get ahold of the streamtime access maps for those rivers. Most of the holes are on those maps.
    Make sure they arent closed due to low flow closures before you go. There is a county park with a campground at the lower end of the gualala river.

Ditto on the streamtime. Floating the Gualala will cost you (you need a key).

Don't bother until we get significantly more rain. Gualala & Navarro bars are closed and low flow in Garcia. Pray for rain . . .

Thumbs down SHhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by westslope View Post
    wjorg.....
    Moving down from Montana? I've spent the last 30 years living on the west slope of the Sierra's right up HW 50. That's weird....because I'm only 30 years old. I've fished the trinity, smith, klamath, chetco, redwood ck and have spent weeks on the Mad hiking miles up logging roads to find fish (and seclusion for that matter). I'm looking to expand my horizons and branch out from the normal steelhead rivers/creeks. I'm not looking for secret steelhead spots on these rivers.....just simple information that will point me in the right direction. Not back to Montana! Haven't lived there and most likely never will.

TG
    speaking of the mad, crowded steelhead streams, seclusion, and so on is a surefired way to make people really mad. you don't have to play the name drop game to increase your credibility. honestly i might have given a little info if you hadn't posted that second post.
    Who in their right mind would give anyone info if they see them speaking publicly of these relatively little known stremams online. if you want good info proove you'll protect it and don't mention sacred steelhead waters online as if they were well known trout rivers of montana
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Default gualala, garcia etc

This seems to me like the "prozac" post. What kind of answers are those!!!. It's pretty easy....either you are willing to give some info or not! What kind of an answer is that about Montana etc, etc.
    Those rivers are only fisheable if they carry enough water, meaning, they need rain to open their sandbars and let the fish in. When this happens, they get muddy and you have to wait until they clear, leaving a small window of opportunity. When everything aligns the fishing could be very good. I hooked my first steely, a beatiful 10#, at gualala many years ago.
    The best suggestion is to buy a map of those creeks, or you might find it online. Good luck and have fun.

Ill have you know I sent this guy a private message at the same time of my post offering to split gas and show him what I've been lucky to learn so far. If people have passion for steelhead I like to facilitate it. I can even share access I have, as was offered to him in that private message.

Excuse my sarcasm. If you do a search on those rivers, like I have, you can find quite a bit of info that Bill and others have shared. Im happy to share knowledge too, but I found the semantics of the original post to be somewhat suspicious, hence my sarcastic reply. Especially from someone with less posts on this board than I have flies wandering around the bottom of my trucks cab.....

You do have my sincere apologies if you were offended.

I LIKE the tenor of this thread...educational for anyone who reads it! Our ever increasing population in the world and California, because it IS such a desirable place to live, and our ever diminishing populations of fish that thrive in pristine geographic areas that are threatened by overpopulation cause us all to be somewhat secretive in order to preserve that which represents an ever rarer experience, capturing an ever more rare fish in a wild and beautiful setting. Thank goodness the weather conditions change so quickly during the winter season, it is tough to "hit it right" on the coastal rivers unless you are retired/ unemployed and live on the banks of these streams. But, if in your lifetime, you hit it right on one of these rivers, then and only then, will you know and appreciate what steelheading is all about...
    Get the Streamtime maps, earn the respect of the "local" steelheaders, watch the weather conditions and GO FOR IT! There will be disappointments, but they will be forgotten on that day when you "hit it right"!

Disclaimer: I don't consider the "bobber boys" on the Trinity steelheaders...