Thread: State of the American

Default State of the American

I fished the basin yesterday. I found a couple good drifts and got skunked. I don't think that's ever happened to me before.... None of the other guys out yesterday caught steelhead either. A few gear guys caught some salmon that that were pretty beaten up. So, are we in between runs, are the fish lower in the system, or are they in the section that's closed off for now? Opinions appreciated.
    The essence of b.s. is not that it is false but that it is phony... -Harry G. Frankfurt

Angry steel

I think it's very time of day dependent. I saw 3 small schoolies caught by bait casters above the fast water/riffle area last week. Lotta beat up salmon being caught and landed without care by the "sportsman". You'd never know thr river was closed to salmon fishing. 15' leaders, one ounce of pencil lead weight, 20lb test line, and setting the hook religiously at the end of every drift. Yep, they're steelhead fishing, just ask them. I did. Where the hell has DFG been??? Why do they waste their time bothering fly guys over a 1/250" barb on their fly? I'm going to wait for more rain before I go out again.

Steve
    It's a Chromer!

I saw a nice one landed today around mid river

Wink Gates are open

On my way home tonight about 5:30 the lights were flashing and it looked like 2 or 3 gates were open.... hopefully this will stir things up a bit

I think it's time to wait for the rain too. Maybe we'll get some soon?
    The essence of b.s. is not that it is false but that it is phony... -Harry G. Frankfurt