Thread: Opinions: 14 ft 8 wts

Default Opinions: 14 ft 8 wts

Gents,

I am interested in acquiring a medium sized rod to round out my CA collection which is flush with 5-6-7's.

I am interested in your opinions of rods in the range of 14 ft 8 wts or thereabouts.

So far my favorites are my Scott LS-2 12 ft 5 wt and my Gary Anderson (recent generation) 13'1" 6 wt, to give you a brief idea of my preferences.

Thanks for any information that you can share.
    Brian Endlich

If you're budget allows it the Burkie 8139 is hard to beat. Stiff in the tip with some flex in the butt. Underload it for a crisp fast feel if you like to throw it off the tip. Overload it if you like a deep load with a relaxed casting stroke. Can't think of another rod in that class I like much more.

Default "Travel" Version

I echo what Aaron says about the Burkheimer 8139-3 but found "my little bit of heaven" with Kerry's 8142-4 because I find shorter rod tubes "travel" better.

My favorite lines on the 8142 are the CND GPS 7/8, Airflo NW Skagit 7/8, and Airflo Compact Skagit 510..."different strokes for different folks" but this gives you an idea where to start if you you are seriously considering this set-up...

I am so enamored of this rod that for the first and only time in my spey casting days (since 1994) I have two of these.

Hope this helps...

Don

Ah totally forgot about that rod Don. Had a chance to cast it a while back, and well, it's a burkie

I've been out of the spey game for a while but I remember really liking those Scott LS rods. My favorite rod though is a Scott 12'8" 7wt, it's my baby!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Brian,
    Tough to beat both Aaron and Don's suggestions. However, I'll throw out a few more, just for fun. A rod that has been out for awhile is the Sage VT-2 8139. A "work horse" for the price. A rod released last year: Sage Z-Axis 8134, a close cousin to the 8129. You might also consider the Beulah 1368-4. Very nice casting rod. A rod that is a little shorter, but is the benchmark in the 7/8 range: Winston B2X 1337-8 4piece. Finally, I can't leave out Gary Anderson's 1368-4. This is Gary's favorite 8 wt. and a fun one to cast. Talk to you at the shop...Go CAL!
    T.

Thanks! for all the provocative information, lots to think about and many new rods to cast. Some of your suggestions I would not have thought of without your mention. One of the great strengths of this forum and the reason I enjoy it so much is the wealth of experience and everyone's willingness to share.

I may have to contact a few of you to see if I can cast some of your suggestions.

Thanks again,

Brian
    Brian Endlich