Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You gotta get out there! Last 3 weekends

Default You gotta get out there! Last 3 weekends

I don't take a lot of pictures anymore, but the fishing has been off the hook. Saturday I went out by myself...I couldn't find anyone to go. I landed 16 fish...2 dinks,8 fish 16-18" and 4 fish 4-7 pounds. The lesson I re-learned for the umteenth million time is if the fish aren't there move and find them. I always go to areas first where I have caught fish before. I often get "stuck" there trying to scratch out some fish...and I will. Last time out I fished for six hours for 5 in some areas that had been my "go to". I was getting tired and ready to head home when I decided to fish this slot next to a flat that had always intrigued me,but I had never seen any one fishing there before. The result was 11 fish in the next hour and fifteen minutes from 16" to 7 pounds (4 were quality fish and all were fun on a 6 wt).

Last week my son and I had a tough day 7 fish biggest about 5 pounds.

Trip before that a friend and I fished over thirty fish between us up to 6-7 pounds

Thanks for the heads up.

I always hear from those who are suppose to know that November is a big month in the Delta for Stripers. This is before the winter sets in and the water gets real cold.

Some will fish it all winter which is supposed to be harder but rewarding.

Discovery Bay is popular in the winter but you have to slow way down and use slower sinking lines and slower sinking flies with more action.

Then as it warms a little Dan Blanton says they turn on again in March as they start to head north up to near Colusa on the Sacramento River to spawn in April/May/June.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for the report. They were definately on the move saturday. It was tough fishing, but we hooked up with a few. Got to fish with an old friend from college.
    Double fisting it...

Paul and I went out with another guy from the club yesterday, and picked up 15 fish between the 3 of us up to 4 lbs... Only complaint yesterday is the fog didn't start burning off until 1 pm. Made it quite chilly most of the morning.

He's out with a couple more club members today, and I'll be out with him the next two days... Yes, it'll be raining, but we have awesome rain gear.... He and I are both off this week from work, so we're getting in as much fishin as humanly possible!
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

My experience was almost identical to yours last Sat. The first 6-7 hours only produced 4 dinks. Covered a lot of water and fished a lot of 'fishy' spots. Also marked a lot of fish on most spots but couldn't get any love.
    The last 1 1/2 hour of light, as I was headed back to the dock, I motored past this bend that I just couldn't pass up. Landed 15-20 fish in about an hour ranging from 12inches to 5 lbs. All fat schoolies that fought like mad. Lots of fun on the 7wt. Very tough fishing throughout the day but got a really nice payoff right at the very end. Good stuff.

Default Last week

I went out last Monday afternoon 12:30 to 4:30 26 fish landed to 7 pounds. I went out Tuesday fished all day 16 fish my buddy landed 7 or 8. We got into a couple of fish on top water flies. What a riot that was. Saturday 14 fish landed. If you are not out there I don't know what you are waiting for. This weather is going to bring the water temps down and shut off the fishing sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by andanb View Post
    This weather is going to bring the water temps down and shut off the fishing sometime soon.
    Hmmmmmmmm???????

Paul
    tight lines to all
    and to all a good Fight!!!

Dec/Jan/Feb is for the hardcore Striper types.

I think I am just too old for that cold weather.............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default dec jan feb

less boats and big fish to be had......
    it is a little hard to cast with 3 or 4 coats on......
    but the results can be worth it...

Paul
    tight lines to all
    and to al a good fight!!!!

With the mild weather and warmer than normal water temps we have had, Dec will be more like a Nov this year. I have caught plenty of stripers this year but the average size is down a lot from last year, lots of dinks with the bigger fish only averaging 3 to 4 pounds, last year it was more like 5 to 7 pounds.