Thread: East Delta, 11/15

Default East Delta, 11/15

Woke up on saturday fighting a cold, but determined to hit the water and bask in large striper glory. I had overslept and just caught the tail-end of the tide swing. Pulled a couple around 5 lbs on topwater bubblers, followed by the bite turning off. Ran into Paul Egan and fished the same area with no luck. Good seeing you on the water Paul! Paul bailed and went down south.

For the next few hours my cold and lack of sleep really kicked in. Could hardly motivate myself to fish. Ended up exploring areas of the delta I had not fished. Tried focusing on TW LMB, and fished some great areas, but I couldnt buy a bite. Didnt matter... Better being out on the Delta than anywhere else I could think of.

Eventually, I returned to where Paul and I had fished earlier. Started throwing an Egan Super Minnow, and immediately started hooking up. Landed around 5, all in the 5 to 6 lb range, all in the same area. Decided I had one more pass before I was ready to throw in the towel, and had my fly absolutely crushed while stripping it in. The fight was on!!! The fish charged the boat (strip, strip, strip) then started peeling line off the reel (zzzzzzzzzzzz). After what seemed like an eternity (probably 10 minutes)I started seeing silver flash and then dive. I didnt care if it came unbuttoned, as long as i got a good look at it first.

Sorry for the bad picture. I was solo and it was a camera phone. 12 lbs on the boga, and released to fight another day. My personal best, and another great day on the water.
    Robert

That's a real nice fish...............a 12# Striper on a fly rod is way cool.

Thanks........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Great Job....Nice Fish....!!!!

we picked up a few 10 or so to 7+#'s

it sure did drop off like a rock right after we saw you......
    the tide went slack....so i motored SW to catch the incoming..
    we picked up a few more nothing for me to brag about
    but Art and his son Austin had never caught a fish on a fly rod before.....
    needless to say their "HOOKED ON STRIPE!!!!!!"
    we had a fair afternoon....tho it sounds like you found the honey pot!!!

Paul.....

Default Where is Austin's picture?

Hey Paul
    I would love to see a picture of Austin ( age about 12) when he caught a striper.
    I don't think he has even caught a trout yet. I know he has a 3 wt. rod because he had it at my casting class. Way to go Austin.