Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abel reel rumor

I heard the same thing on the weight issue but haven't checked on it. I was in Alaska floating the Salmon river and one of the guys was changing spools and dropped a cap/screw so he was out of comission till they could pull over and get his spare reel,whch was buried in his dry bag. Thats the only reason I'm thinking about quick change.
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

Totally off-topic, but I could never understand the appeal of spare spools. For years I used to carry around spare spools with different lines but never used them. Just too much of a pain to re-rig. I'd rather just have a spare rod/reel combo lined up ready to go. Often times totally different lines cast better on different actioned rods anyway. Anyway with regard to Abel a quick-change spool is nice but for me irrelevant. Guess I'm in the minority.

I agree with the changing outfits but the trips I am talking about is rubber raft floating and rods left out usually get broke so changing outfits is better left to "the next stop". The changing lines is for the change in stream conditions.

Ever heard of a rod case??? I float all the time too and when I go in a raft in tight quarters the extra outfit goes in a case, strapped in the raft where it will stay if the boat flips. It's still faster to put a 3 or 4-pc rod together that's already completely rigged than swap out a spool and re-line. Most of the time though the rod can stay in the boat ready to rumble at a moment's notice

PS looks like somebody picked the wrong channel. Been there a few times. Good reason to carry a saw.
    Last edited by bigtj; 04-02-2009 at 09:09 PM.

While I agree with TJ about the convenience of multiple settups over spare spools, a critical factor (for me) is financial. ! wish I could afford a whole quiver of rods for each species and situation I encounter, but its just not gonna happen for me. Spare spools are the next best thing if you cant afford multiple rod/reel combos....especially if you have a taste for high end equipment

Yea I think I've heard of a rod case mine was in the bottom of the boat. The first day of that trip is usually like that we carry a chain saw. I take the minimum 8-10 rods on the trip.And rod/reel cases take up a lot of space. And I am always looking for weight reductions. 10 days in the bush and I need the extra weight and room for my cigars and booze for the guides.
    My rods and reels never leave me side when I am traveling, especiallly in Alaska. I keep everything on the bottom of the raft as I don't want to lose anything going under brush.

The side channel we were in that year was the only other way around as that was it, one stream in that section after the breakup.