Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: a little trinity advice

Robert, you are right, there are no absolutes.

I rarely do anything but swing flies. I will dead drift them before the swing actually happens if there is a particular seam I'm trying to hit. But for the most part it is just a basic swing. I'll occasionally put on a bobber and try that in some spots. But the time spent doing that is so much less than swinging, there is a reason why I don't catch that many with the indicator. While I have friends that do more indicator than swinging, and of course they catch more that way. Whatever works for ya.

BTW, when I was up between Del Loma and JC, it was raining like crazy. The first day I was there, I saw 1 other person fishing and I covered a ton of water. It was incredibly peaceful. The second day, the rain slowed and the guides in their boats started coming. But, as soon as they launched and moved downstream, I was alone as the only guy wade fishing. Those rainy days are great. Keeps the crowds away and the fish biting.

Wish I lived closer to the Trinity. It is such a great piece of water.

I also hit the Trinity for three days last week. Slow going, managed one good sized fish. Taped at exactly 30" but he was nice and heavy. The weather was horrible...warm and sunny, yuck. Please excuse the hero shot, this was my first good sized steelhead!

Last edited by Ben Kobrin; 11-21-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Beautiful fish, I would have taken about a dozen or so "hero shoots" if I caught that beauty. Nothing wrong with a taking pictures.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Holy Steelhead!!!!!

Thumbs up

Nice job, Ben! That is a great looking fish.

Nice fish like that deserve HERO pictures! Congratulations
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

A friend of mine and I were up there for a couple of days last week. On Thursday, we fished from dawn until dusk from Del Loma to Douglas City and neither one of us got so much as a grab. We tried a new spot higher up the river Friday morning and didn't get a bite until around 9 the clock. From 9 o'clock until 10:30 I managed to land two half pounders, two nice hatchery adults (each about 28 inches), and one beautiful wild hen that went a full 32 inches-- my biggest fish ever. I am more than a little embarrassed to say that Friday was my 10th day on the river this season, and those were the first adults I've been able to land. I have never had a drought like that in the past, but it sure made the drive home sweet. -Rob
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -A. Einstein.

This season the trinity has been very different than the past few seasons as we are all aware. It has been much more difficult to find fish in the trinity river, and once you find them you usually can't sit and pound the same water for 10 hours a day. Myself being a college student/fishing bum i can dedicate about half of my time to finding and pursuing steelhead.

This fish represents my best day out of the last month or so.

Thats me on the left with good friend and guide Aaron Grabiel.

here is another look

i couldn't resist sharing this fish any longer... sorry
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Fished the Trinity Weds and Thurs...landed 2 nice hens in one spot Thursday for the only takedowns on the river...for 2 guys and 2 days...

Fishing was solid on both upper and lower Sac Friday and Saturday...-Mike

F**K YEAH, DUSTY! That is what its all about, wild steelhead!