Thread: Rain effects Steelhead

Default Rain effects Steelhead

If it doesn't keep raining we should have better Steelheading now as soon as the water gets back in shape from all this rain.

This would be in the Valley rivers like the Lower American, Lower Yuba, Lower Feather and Lower Sacramento.

It will also help the Klamath and the Trinity Rivers.

There will be a serge of fish moving up the drainages triggered by the fresh water in the systems.

After the rain stops for while (week or two) the rivers come down and clear and the fish start to become "stale" and harder to catch.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Should be some good runs of salmon entering the north coast rivers as well assuming there are any to come in? The Smith went from 400 sfs to 1600 cfs and the Eel also went up so both will likely be open for next weekend. More rain coming but predictions don't sound as heavy as this last storm.

The Klamath is up to around 5500 cfs which is still a great fishing flow and I am hoping more steelhead will show up for a late trip on the lower river

Hi Rick and Bill,
    Do you know what number to call to check on which coastal streams are open or closed?

thanks,
    mike

Hey Mike I got em right here.
    For the Eel,Smith, Mad,Mattole, Van Duzen, Redwood Creek etc. its 707-442-4502
    For Central Coast streams Mendocino,Sonoma counties and Russian river its 707-944-5533
    Put it on speed dial. Last year they were defiantly on it in closing down the rivers once they started getting low, especially the coastal streams. I think they update it on Wednsdays but if they decide to close it they will do it at any time, Always best to call if it hasnt rained in a bit. More info is on pg. 59 and 60 of the regs. Heres a link. Kevin

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/08...-fish-regs.pdf
    Last edited by nrthcsteel; 11-02-2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: edit items

Forgot to add. The South Fork of the Eel river doesnt open until January 1st! Kevin

Rain affects steelhead??? This can't be true. I thought the best days were mid summer in the 90's with bright sunlight?

...only for brown trout on dry flies.....

thanks for the numbers and link, Kevin. Very much appreciated and, yes, i have them in the address book now!

cheers, mike