Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Wooly Bugger ( or Woolly Bugger)

I'll take the whole "lot of different colors, sizes, bead-head/non bead head" that Ed carries.

'Course, if the duel is held at Rancho Seco, the results may suggest both fly types aren't worth a hoot. Maybe it's just me but I have found that to be an easy lake to get skunked at.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Cool

Ed it sounds like a little bit of waffle on your part!!!!!!.....The woolly bugger against the wiggle tail........one fly......one color.....2 different sizes......extra flies for the big fish break off.....I have confidence in my black wiggle tail on any waters......do you have that confidence in one woolly bugger fly ?????????????

[QUOTE=.do you have that confidence in one woolly bugger fly ?????????????[/QUOTE]

Ummm, no, not really. The beauty of the 'bugger is the amount of variations you can tie.

How about if I tie it up on a short shanked hook, with a tail longer than the body?

I'm still game though, I'll take your one color, 2 sizes restriction.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Gene, that kind of confidence in one fly merits attention -- I know what a wiggle-tail is, but before this is over, I sure hope to understand your particular version better.

So. . . how are the "NASCAR-like endorsements" coming along? Have you guys started making arrangements for sponsor shirts and caps?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Cool

Hairstacker.......I can show you how the wiggle tail looks in the water with my fish aquarium tank, and you can see the difference for your self. You can come over to my house......or if we get enough people to look at the difference between a woolly bugger, and a wiggle tail maybe Bill will let us do it outside his store.......What do you think Ed...... would you like to put you woolly bugger in a aquarium tank and join us.

If we can put trout,char, LMB, any panfish, squawfish,hardheads, smallmouth, shad, salmon,carp, etc. in that aquarium I'm all in. I've caught 'em all at one time or another on 'buggers.

I've no doubt that these flies look great in the tank. I remember when I was a sophmore in High School window shopping at Goldblatts dept store on the west side of Chicago. They had these ultra realistic Bluegill imitation diving lures. I even saved up and bought some. I've noticed that I don't see them around anymore. Can you say flash in the pan?

C'mon Gene, let's rock. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Depending upon the date of the event, we might be hard pressed to get Michael Buffer to do the introductions. However, we can probably get Mean Gene, and Jesse the Body to do the calls from ringside. Rowdy Roddy may even tag along, toss in a chair in the late rounds.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Cool

SKUNKED.......Your right i have been skunked at Rancho Seco, and other trout lakes more then once with the wiggle tail...Ed....I seen you fish before and you are very good at fly fishing you could take any kind of fly and catch a fish....maybe even with a wiggle tail......Does anyone know what Dates SMUD will plant Rancho Seco Trout Derby in December?

Red face

Aw shucks, thanks Gene.

I checked the Smud website but it hasn't been updated for this year. As a smud customer I should be getting a notice about it soon.

Kidding aside, way back in this thread, when you first brought up the wiggle-tail you added "when tied correctly". Care to do a little demo? Maybe we can get Bill to ok an afternoon session at the shop. Ed

I would be honored to demo the wiggle tail fly......I'm not a professional fly tier.....why I'm not even a good fly tier......and I hate to wast my time tying a fly that looks like shi.....t in the water.....a fly that becomes alive in the water is what I'm talking about.