Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Wooly Bugger ( or Woolly Bugger)

Your right JD the wooly bugger and the wiggle tail are attracter flies........the tail on the wooly bugger is the trigger as is the tail on the wiggle tail is the trigger.....but a wiggle tail is more alive looking when tied right......Ed I'll except the challenge......How about high noon at Kiene's I'll bring my fish aquarium tank, and we can tie some leader to the flies and drag them around in the water and look at the action???????

Jay Fair's 'Wiggle Nymph' is a type of Woolly Bugger that has a short body and a long tail so it must have more "wiggle"?

I know we sell tons of them individually and in variety 10 packs.

Jay Fair is usually guiding on Eagle lake this time of year, November being a top month.

With fly fishers he is mostly wading the shoreline after traveling around the lake in a boat to his favorite spots.

Do yourself a favor and get out a day with him soon because he is getting pretty old now.

PS: Denny Rickard's "Seal Bugger" is another 'Woolly Bugger like' small attractor lake fly.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

In a variety of colors (black, green, olive, brown, rust, etc) and sizes (#10-14) these small buggy attractor flies can imitate small fish, aquatic nymphs (damsel, dragon and mayfly) scuds and leeches.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Aww Gene, that's no fun. Let's have a showdown at Rancho Seco when they put the big fish in.

That'll give us time to work up an appropriate wager, talk trash, and pick up some NASCAR- like endorsements.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

A one fly fish off sounds like fun to me. I am down for that. Heck if we get more than 4 people I will even make a trophy for the winner. I'll turn something on my lathe.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Scott, can you turn a wooly bugger on you lathe !?! THAT WOULD BE AN AWESOME TROPHY LOL
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grace View Post
    Scott, can you turn a wooly bugger on you lathe !?! THAT WOULD BE AN AWESOME TROPHY LOL

Might involve some hand carving but I am willing to give it a try, I have some nice koa blanks for pens that would work real nice. I'll work on it next week, I am too busy fishing all this weekend.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

pencil me in for that contest....

Cool

Ok Ed......Rancho Seco would be fine for me......lets make it a little more interesting..... you have to use my wiggle tail fly for the day........and i will use your wooly bugger fly for the day.......we could invite some other people to join us.....and give them each one of our fly to try.....(barbless ok with you)
    Last edited by gene goss; 11-07-2008 at 09:54 PM.

That's an interesting twist. Maybe a few hours of each? I normally cycle through a lot of different colors, sizes, bead-head/non bead head, and cycle through different stripping speeds until I find a good combination.
    I know you don't just toss out a black wiggle-tail and hope for the best. Or do you?

Maybe we should just find ourselves a pod of fish and do a side by side comparison.

Let me formalize this before we go any further.

You Sir, have impugned the honor of the venerable Wooley Bugger.( I am taking off one of my gloves now, I always wear these white gloves. Wait for it, here it comes). SLAP! I challenge you to a duel.
    I will see you on the field of honor Sir. The Honorable Ed Wahl.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Cool

Boy, I'm game, but I want the wiggle tail!
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."