Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: just an idea

Thumbs up Menu....

MMM, MMM.... You're really tempting me with that menu.... I suppose you could substitute a non-alcohol wine or apple juice (sparking) for a cold drink.... Lots of options for hot drinks.

Since, from everything I've heard, you make a killer duck sausage, you might consider duck sausage with a Morel sauce and salad for spring (maybe you already have....). I'm sure you can improve on this....

I like playing around with this. Hope Aaron can find his reference. Maybe we can brainstorm this into a real venture....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thumbs up

Hi Charlie

You'd need to sell the sizzle not the sausage with this concept.

First decide what the experience is that you are offering:

Fine Dining - tough to see how you would appeal on this alone. More choice, more comfort and fine wines available in a restaurant and cheaper because they wouldn't have to pay for your exclusive time.

Romance - possibilities. Could you take them to a beautiful, secluded spot. Lay out a trestle table with white linen, fine china and great food and then discreetly withdraw. "You'll never guess where Billy proposed/took me for my birthday etc". Still a tough one though: how romantic the missus feels when she realizes bathroom facilities are in short supply!!! Also, romance without champagne?

Romance and fun - more possibilities! Joking apart, Ed is right on the money. Some unique experience, like being transported by "Charlie the Gondolier" would bring free publicity - "Oh, and the food was out of this World too".

Wildlife/educational - Show them stuff they've never seen, be an expert on local flora/fauna with a gourmet picnic as well. Tell them stories about the history of the river.

Divorce Celebration - "Our marriage went down the river years ago, so guess where we celebrated our divorce?"

Don't know how many you can carry, but I think any ideas have a better chance if you can carry 4 rather than 2. Opens it up to 2 couples (More fun, less awkwardness than with just you and a couple) or mom, dad and kids (Family adventure, fun, great food for everybody.) Also spreads the cost.

Speaking of cost, don't undervalue: unique experience = premium price.

Finally, probably not the best economic climate for launching a service like this, if you get my drift! Good luck

Mike
    Bass Buggin' - Bad for the heart: Good for the soul.

Talking

A lot of good input from board mbrs here. To help determine a price range try backing into some numbers. What is meant by this is first determine what's the minimum amount you need to make in order to make it worthwhile? Then, add on top of this number your anticipated expenses for food, transportation, added insurance costs, marketing, etc. This should get you to your minimun starting amount...once you known this number you'll have an idea if it's a feasible starting amount and or if you have some wiggle room to increase it. Food at med - fine resturants doesn't gross the most profit...it's largly the bar tap and apetizers that generates the profit. This may make this venture more challening from a profitibility standpoint, so as mentioned earlier on this thread..."sell the sizzle" which I believe is the unique experience. Be careful not to go with too elaborate of a menu starting out as this can be built upon later and for special occassions. Take time to really define the experience you want to provide...is it fishing, dining, combination of fishing & dining, sightseeing, boatride, etc. Then there's determining your target market (those with expendable income), marketing plan, and all the other suggestions that were made about restroom facility, licenses, permits, food handling, etc.

I think it's a great idea...consider the K.I.S.S. approach and careful not to lose focus on building your core business pursuit whereas the energies redirected toward a niche venture may prove more costly. Keep me posted on how this turns-out...I'm definitely interested especially if you singing a seranade song is included in the fair.
    Fish in "stealth" mode.

well, I was the guy who started the duck sausage rumor, and I think the idea has merit...I think we talked about it in the boat. I believe that Charlie's regular deal is great, but add in superior food and there's no competition. Lots of guides can put you on fish, but not many can feed you like this too!

This would be a great way for me to get my wife on the water with me. She goes once in a while, but give her something to tell all her friends about that was "special" and she'd sign up...

Charlie and I have a meeting in May or June for some shad...I'll show up hungry

-Mike