Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustration, frustration!

Default Frustration, frustration!

Hi everybody, hope you are all well!

I have an 8 weight, 9 foot Loomis Prescado fly rod with a Rio T-14 (27 feet) with Amnesia (don't like this Amnesia stuff already, have to stretch it every 5 minutes it seems like to get the stupid kinks out) shooting line. I can't cast this combo more than 60 feet, sometimes the line rolls over on it's self, got wind knots like crazy, and other problems, too many to name!! What am I doing wrong? I have about 2 feet of Amnesia outside the rod tip, I wait for the "tug" of the line straightening out behind me, I still can't get a smooth cast nor a longer cast. Somebody please chime in here with some answers, I feel embarrassed the way things are going right now and I have a trip planned for Saturday for stripers in the Delta. I hope Jerry has a lot of patience!

Norm
    Last edited by captnorm; 10-22-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Default double haul

Have you really learned to double haul or are you trying to "fly cast" the line. It is never a bad idea to take a lesson even if it is just a tune up. We all have bad habits that we try other "bad" things to fix to just make it work. It never works everything eventually falls apart. An extra set of trained eyes can prevent many hours of frustration and more importantly less effective fishing.

Check out Jeff Putman.

your line system may be too heavy for your rod. 27 feet of T14 is around 380 grains which equates to around a 12 wt line. An 8 wt line is around 210 grains. Often you can go up 1 or 2 line weights with a shooting head but that might get you up around 280 grains.

Does the line seem heavy and does the rod seem to overload with your setup?

Amnesia works ok but is best if it is not cold out. A good stretch should last for quite some time if warm.

I'm working on improving my casting and overall knowlege of fishing and reading the water. Another great local resource is Charlie Gonzales (aka: bigvalleyguide.com) who does guide outings. I recently started working w/Charlie and did a private mini clinic whereas the focus is on casting techniques, various tactics, and approach on learning how to fish to shorten my learning curve and increase my productivity on the water. You can contact Charlie on this board if interested in this type of approach and or for a guide outing. I'd be happy to pair-up with you on a future mini clinic...simply send me a personal mgs on this board. Any newbie reading this reply that shares a similiar interest for improving may wish to consider utilizing Charlie as an additional local resource. I'm looking forward to a second mini clinic with Charlie on 10/26...and "open" to a couple folks joining me...send me a pm very soon.
    Fish in "stealth" mode.

Norm,

I this a new rod that Loomis came out with? I would think the line is way overloading the rod. Myself, I would cut the T-14 any shorter then you'll end up dumping the line because of the short head. As for Amnesia, I've been using the stuff since I started fly fishing back in the early '70s. but now I have been using the clear Amnesia for 25 plus years. Look for the Hal Janssen leader control material in 25 or 30 pound test.

Jay

I agree, 27' of T14 is too heavy for your rod. I was only casting 60-70ft with the same setup as you. I now use 30' of T8 (240 grain) and it works great on my 8wt and I can now cast 90-100ft (after lots of practice).

The other tip is to soak your amnesia in water for at least 1 hour before using, overnight is even better, then lightly stretch the line before starting and all the coils will be gone.
    Last edited by Flycanoe; 10-22-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 28' of T-14 the standard length for most 8 or 9 weights? I know I throw it just fine on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murakoshi View Post
    Norm,

Is this a new rod that Loomis came out with?

Jay
    No, this was a combination rod-reel-line that I picked up at a shop about 4 years ago, I don't think they make this rod any more.

I have some clear Amnesia 20# that I may go to, the red keeps coiling up on me.

Maybe I just need a lot more practice. I'm practicing on a park lawn now, unable to try a "water haul" to load up the rod or is it too loaded now? Maybe an instructor as Ty and andanb pointed out will be beneficial to me.

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you all know how it went on Saturday. Until then I'll just keep practicing, will probably use one of Jerry's already rigged rods.

Norm

Have Jerry throw your rod, he will be able to tell you if the line is incorrect or if it is just something in your casting. Have fun.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Norm -

27 feet of T-14 shouldn't be too heavy at all - I used a 28 foot T-14 head (w/ 100 feet of 30 LB. Amnesia) in the surf in Baja a few years back ..... almost all of my casts were past the 100 foot mark , several were quite a bit longer . The rod was my old Sage RPLX 8 wt. .....

I usually use a single haul only - by using a water haul (roll-casting the head onto the water w/ a foot still in the tip-top) and SLOW THE STROKE DOWN to make the back cast , slip a few feet of line to get the overhang (try to jab your casting arm .... like you are reaching at the 10:00 or 11:00 position at the apex of your back cast), smoothly make the fore-cast while hauling , stop HIGH . The head should piss out like it was born to fly !

I see you are in Oakley - you might want to get a message to Dan Blanton , he's at the Sugar Barge on Bethel Island for the season ...... I'm sure he wouldn't mind giving you a pointer or two if you drop in for a visit . I'll be at Bethel on November 1st in the afternoon and would be happy to show you how it's done .

David