Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Poly leaders" are handy...........

Smile Differences....

Hmmm,.... Guess I wasn't clear in trying to explain this. let's say that In considering the way it looks to a fish a visible, sinking poly leader would appear the same as a sink-tip or sinking line in the water. Therefore, IMHO, adding a lengthy (10' as you originally suggested) level tippet to a poly leader might be seen as the same as adding the same length of tippet to a sink-tip fly line. So, it seems to me that fish could be lined using either set-up.

Whether using a poly leader or flouro/mono leader the problem is the same, trying to avoid lining fish. In my experience (which doesn't include using poly leaders, BTW) the potential for lining fish at depth isn't a great concern. Admittedly, I do not fish Chironomids or very tiny flies as a rule (can't see 'em to tie 'em on ).

So,.... as I said before, to each his own.... Hope I didn't make this any more confusing than I have already....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SHig, I could only guess that the clear floating poly leader will stay afloat and not sink like many mono leaders that eventually absorb water and start to sink possibly ruining the presentation....that's just a guess.

Darian, lay off this guy. What got you so confrontational about his subject !?!
    Last edited by Adam Grace; 10-20-2008 at 02:26 PM.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Don't sweat it. I'm a newbie, I expect this. Besides, I don't think Darian is being overly confrontational.

I'm sure it won't be the first time I find my foot (flipper?) in my mouth!

Please continue to discuss the benefits of poly leaders from float to depth charge! I bought 'em, I'd like to use them to their greatest potential.

_SHig

I'm coming from the standpoint of river fishing, not lake. So take it for what it's worth (not much!! ).

If you have a sinking poly leader or a sink tip for that matter, putting 10 feet of level line/tippet is probably not the best idea. The polyleader or tip is going to sink further/faster than the tippet (unless the fly is heavily weighted), causing a belly. In river situations, I would stick to a short (up to 4') of level mono or flouro.

Whether to attach a sinking polyleader onto a sinktip... I wouldn't bother unless the line/leader combo performs better in that situation. For instance, those RIO AFS spey lines work great with poly leaders. They compliment each other. However, my personal experience has been a floating line with a sinking poly leader (then 3' of level mono).

my 2 cents.

Angry Confrontational....????

Adam,.... You seem to be overreacting to my attempt to expand/explain a point I made early on (....maybe not well) in this thread. The nature of it was intended to be casual and not offensive. I'm not sure an exchange of ideas is ever confrontational. It certainly adds to learning.

If Shig was offended, I'm sure he could speak for himself.

Ya know, it's difficult enough to ask or answer a question in a written format on a BB without having it misunderstood. I shouldn't have to explain this to a current college student but communication takes time and maybe several attempts to complete. So, I'm sorry if it offends you that I have differing ideas about this than you would approve of.

You need to lighten up....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown